MAC OS X: Forum

Copy files - global setting to overwrite dupes?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Meredith
Copy files - global setting to overwrite dupes?
on May 6, 2008 at 11:59:57 pm

I got a new G-SAFE drive for archiving photos. I connected an older external drive with all my photo files and dragged a folder to the new drive, but after awhile it stops on a file and says it can't complete the operation because the file already exists. But it doesn't already exist. I checked. There was no file by that name on the new drive and there is only one file by that name being copied... But apparently it copies the file and then for some reason tries to copy it again, sees the first one and refuses to continue...?

This seems to happen randomly. It will copy a few hundred files (or less) and then stop on this message. I reformatted the new drive - tried journaled and non-journaled - but it still acts the same way.

The older drive is NTFS and I have been using it with NTFS for Mac for several months, no problems.

I have about 10,000+ files to copy and don't want to babysit this operation!

Is there any trick to get a Mac to blindly copy the entire contents of a drive without stopping for "duplicates"? Especially non-existent duplicates.

Or better yet, is there a way to tell it globally to overwrite files with the same name? Or some sort of backup software that would just copy everything and not ask questions?

Return to posts index

shin kurokawa
Re: Copy files - global setting to overwrite dupes?
on May 13, 2008 at 5:55:00 pm

You're in luck.
Use the unix shell (Terminal).
-Shin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]