MAC OS X: Forum

Time Machine Backups

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Kuehnapfel
Time Machine Backups
on May 2, 2008 at 6:41:49 pm

Can Time Machine backup on an hourly basis not only the main hard drive but also an internal RAID 0 created from the remaining three drive slots? (Assuming, of course, one has an external JBOD array big enough to hold all the data.) This question actually relates to a previous query about RAID cards and sacrificing storage/performance for Raid 5 versus Raid 0. I'm thinking of using Time Machine to act as a RAID 5-type protective measure against drive failure. But I can't seem to find any articles about using Time Machine in addition to the main hard drive. I'm also curious if the actual backup processing time is truly invisible in the background and doesn't interfere with normal operation. Any thoughts or comments?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Time Machine Backups
on May 2, 2008 at 8:49:52 pm

Time Machine backs up everything it can find that's connected locally. So, for example, I have 3 drives inside my Mac Pro. Time Machine tries to back them all up. I tell it to ignore one of them since I only use it for video that I keep on tape and could re-capture if I need to.

You can only have 1 Time Machine drive, but that one drive can back up multiple other drives. (I wish I could assign a diffferent firewire drive to back up each internal drive, but alas, that's not possible.)

As for whether it interfears with the computer or not, I couldn't say. I haven't had any problems yet (I use Final Cut and DVD Studio Pro a lot) so I'd think it's fine. But I couldn't say for sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]