MAC OS X: Forum

The simplest tasks cripple my octocore! Please help!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc BrakThe simplest tasks cripple my octocore! Please help!
by on Apr 11, 2008 at 7:07:25 am

What gives?

I was checking out the dutch product pages for final cut studio, which feature some nice quicktime movies showcasing the software. Like this page: http://www.apple.com/nl/finalcutstudio/soundtrackpro/

Very nice, but until the movie starts playing, the mac is TOTALLY sluggish! I have to wait SECONDS before the scroll wheel responds, or before i get another safari tab, or before the activity monitor launches. You'd think i'm rendering a pixar movie or something!!

Activity monitor says: CPU activity = 101 and 85% free. I'm running NO other applications, have 2 Gb of RAM (1,5 free so that can't be it).

Am i doing something wrong? Am I on some energy-saving low-performance setting or something? This mac pro is supposed to SMOKE, right? How can it NOT perform while most of its memory and CPU are UNUSED? I really don't get it!!

Return to posts index

Marc BrakRe: The simplest tasks cripple my octocore! Please help!
by on Apr 11, 2008 at 7:11:23 am

Perhaps I should add:

Version 3.1 (5525.13)
Mac OS X 10.5.2.

I have installed all recent software and firmware updates.

Return to posts index

Marc BrakRe: The simplest tasks cripple my octocore! Please help!
by on Apr 11, 2008 at 7:36:13 am

And another strange thing that has happened several times now:

when i go to this page http://www.apple.com/nl/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/

i get a strange kind of "echo" on my computer screen. So I'll be moving my mouse cursor and really faint, ghostly second mouse cursor follows about 1 inch to the left. And the same goes for everything else on the screen; text, images etc. A watermark of all that is visible about 1 inch to the left.

It only happens on those apple product pages, and turning my monitor off and on again fixes it, but still.

Is there some kind of corrupt script on that page messing with my mac? Am i the only one? Am I doing something wrong? It really frustrates me to get this kind of unnecessary underperformance.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-ThiesRe: The simplest tasks cripple my octocore! Please help!
by on Apr 11, 2008 at 3:55:39 pm

A couple things, have you restarted recently?

Have you run disc utility?

Have you checked your monitor connection to the computer?

In terms of the sluggish performance, I would try emptying your caches and restarting your computer, and run the cron scripts as well.

The other big thing is get more ram, if you have an 8 core computer with only 2GB of ram you are starving your processors for RAM. The rule of thumb I follow is if I am doing graphics, video, or other memory and processor intensive tasks I have at least 2GB of ram per core. If I am not doing those type of tasks I would go with 1GB per core so minimum your computer in my view should have 8GBs of ram... as to whether that will fix the sluggishness, it will make your computer perform better, but report back with the results of the above mentioned ideas.

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Complex Technology Development

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: The simplest tasks cripple my octocore! Please help!
by on Apr 11, 2008 at 5:37:37 pm

Well, Simon, I agree that he should have more than 2 GB of RAM in general, but I'd think that 2 GB would be enough to view a web page properly.

Marc, download Firefox, Camino, and Opera. Try that site in all 3 browsers and see what happens. This may be a computer hardware problem or it may be a Safari problem. It will help us to try and narrow the cause down before suggesting all sorts of fixes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]