MAC OS X: Forum

Won't load OS?..

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Van Kleeck
Won't load OS?..
on Apr 4, 2008 at 9:27:03 pm

Thanks to anyone responding!

I accidentally kicked the plug to my power strip...it unplugged, then plugged back in in a matter of a second; but it was enough time for my Intel iMac to turn off and then very quickly turn back on. When it came to the first screen (the Apple symbol and the spinning "loading" animation on grayish white background), it stayed there for about a minute and then the Apple symbol changed to a "No" symbol (circle with a line through it, like "NO SMOKING"). I tried unplugging and restarting three times but to no avail.

Please help! I have no idea what to do! Thanks again for any suggestions!

-Toby

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Won't load OS?..
on Apr 5, 2008 at 1:43:54 am

[Toby Van Kleeck] "the Apple symbol changed to a "No" symbol (circle with a line through it, like "NO SMOKING")"

That means that it is cannot find your hard drive. You should sign up for a appointment at the Genius Bar at your local apple store.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Apr 5, 2008 at 1:56:53 am

Can you start up from the install/restore disk? (Start, hold "C" key to force load from optical drive)
If so, once the OS is loaded from the DVD, go to menubar and select Disk utility.
That done, see if your Hard Drive shows up in the iist on the left. If it does, click-select the drive name (ie MacintoshHD) and click the "Repair" button. If there's a problem with catalog or file structures, this and/or Alsoft Disk Warrior may get you back up. If there was physical damage, off to the repair shop and probably a new drive.
In any case I hope you'd done a backup not too long ago.

Return to posts index

Toby Van Kleeck
on Apr 10, 2008 at 2:12:20 pm

Chuck,

Thank you so much for your help! Your advice worked out perfectly! A thousand thanks!

-Toby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]