MAC OS X: Forum

networking issues

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris newmannetworking issues
by on Mar 31, 2008 at 1:53:45 pm

i have an issue that's been happening more often lately. i'm on mac (G5 dual 2.7, 10.5.2) that accesses shared clients on a windows network. more often than not, i have no problem mounting those clients, but sometimes my mac seems to decide to just "stop looking". when you go to mount a client that usually mounts instantly, it will just hang there as if i weren't connected to the network. even when i already have other network shares mounted from earlier. those shares work fine, i just can't mount anything else. the fix is fairly simply though inconvenient. all i have to do is log off and log back on again. it seems like it gives the networking a wake up call. by the way, this also effects communication between the other macs. mounting mac drives from the other macs in the department as well as screen sharing just doesn't want to work without relogging in (which means closing all apps). is there a way to give the network a refresh, for lack of a better term? i don't know why it's happening, which is also frustrating.

any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks

Return to posts index

del chappleRe: networking issues
by on Mar 31, 2008 at 9:41:26 pm

I have had the same issue for years, but i just figured it was an osx vs xp thing.

del

you cant hear my inner voice scream... can you..?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: networking issues
by on Mar 31, 2008 at 10:14:24 pm

[chris newman] "is there a way to give the network a refresh, for lack of a better term? i don't know why it's happening, which is also frustrating. "

Try relaunching the Finder. Use Force Quit (cmd-opt-esc), select the Finder and hit Relaunch.

Also, make sure that you're on the same workgroup as the windows machines as this should help your computer find the other computers more consistently.

Go to:
System Preferences > Network > Advanced... (in the lower right corner) > WINS (tab at the top) and check the 'Workgroup' setting. If you upgraded from a previous version of OS X and transferred users over you may need to duplicate your current location and make the changes to your workgroup on the duplicate (it won't allow you to change this value on the upgraded account's default location).

As for shared drives/folders showing up, sometimes there is an inexplicable lag... which I can't explain =)

Darby Edelen
Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]