MAC OS X: Forum

removing file extensions properly

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen flynnremoving file extensions properly
by on Feb 18, 2008 at 12:42:06 pm

I need to rename an image sequence and remove all file extensions. I basically want the files to be seen as - unix Executable files - and therefore not recognised properly by the finder.

simply deleting the extensions doesnt work, using properties and selecting show hidden file extensions, then deleting extensions doesnt work.If it was a tiff, even without the right extension it still looks likke a tiff icon and is treated as such.

does anyone know how to do this???

(reasons - Maya on a Mac, doesnt support sprite sequences with file extensions and anything i make on my mac is useless, it just isnt recognised by Maya. Other image sequences I have been given from a PC source with no file extension work perfectly, but only ones that look like unix files in the finder. I realise this is really a Maya issue but they dont give a shit about Mac users unfortunately)

thanks

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: removing file extensions properly
by on Feb 18, 2008 at 7:16:21 pm

Sounds like your files may be carrying file type and creator codes, which allow Finder to know the kind of files and what app created them, when no file extension is present. This goes back to the pre-OSX days, when Macs didn't need or use file extensions.
There are some apps to edit this data, might be worth a try.
One that looks interesting and allows batch processing is Type and Creator Changer.
Search VersionTracker or MacUpdate for others.

Return to posts index

stephen flynnRe: removing file extensions properly
by on Feb 19, 2008 at 6:07:51 pm

thanks,

will download the software and have a go,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]