MAC OS X: Forum

repairing OS X through a network?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Copelandrepairing OS X through a network?
by on Feb 11, 2008 at 9:28:49 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a G4 that has mistakenly had some important files that get deleted. Long story, anyway, Now I can't get it to boot up. It gets stuck at Login window Starting. I have tried logging in from the OS installation disk, and it still gets stuck at the same spot. Ok, so the good news is...I can log into it through the network just fine. Is there a way repair the OS through the network?

Please help me, you're my only hope.

Thanks!!

For every vision there is an equal and opposite revision.

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: repairing OS X through a network?
by on Feb 11, 2008 at 9:55:00 pm

Maybe, but at this point I wouldn't trust it.

I'd use the network to get all my files out, wipe the drive, install the OS and then put the files back.

It will take time, yes, but I get very nervous about fixing problems as serious as the one you have. I just keep wondering if I've fixed the actual problem or merely the symptom (in which case it may return someday).

BUT, it may be worth taking to an Apple store. If they can find a problem I'd trust their solution more than my own trouble-shooting. That might work, but may take longer than my first plan!

Return to posts index

Lance CopelandRe: repairing OS X through a network?
by on Feb 11, 2008 at 10:20:04 pm

Thanks Jeff,

I think you are right...I'm already backing all the files up, so I might as well just start the whole machine over. Argh, I figured it would come to that, but I thought I'd ask. :)

Thanks again,

L

For every vision there is an equal and opposite revision.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]