MAC OS X: Forum

Turning the dock off?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lacey
Turning the dock off?
on Feb 8, 2008 at 5:30:09 pm

Wherever I position the dock it seems intrusive. As I can manage very well withiut it, can I turn it off?

Thank you

Alan

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Turning the dock off?
on Feb 8, 2008 at 5:49:08 pm

You cant turn it off but you can set it to hide, it will then only show up when you mouse over it.

Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Feb 8, 2008 at 7:45:23 pm

There ARE various ways to stop it from running (it's just an Application like any other).

Google "kill dock" and you'll find a variety of solutions.

That being said, I don't really suggest doing this as I can't promise it won't give you some trouble down the road if you run something that's expecting the dock to be there and can't find.

But the options are there, if you want to find them.

I suggest putting it on the right side of the screen and hiding it. Should be pretty out of the way there.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 9, 2008 at 10:01:49 am

Thanks guys, I've tried all the options over the years. It's the MBP that it's really irritating on but I'll heed your advice Jeff.

Alan

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 9, 2008 at 10:54:20 pm

Drag every app you can off it. this should leave the finder and trash. Choose dock preferences and make it as small as possible. turn magnification off. turn hiding on. put it on the right. Even if you accidentally turn it on, it will barely get in the way. I think it would be nice to have it stay hidden until you call it up with a keyboard command. I'm still on tiger so I hope all this still applies.

OSX 10.4.11; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; G5 dual 2.5 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 11, 2008 at 11:53:17 am

Thanks Craig,

I've positioned it at the top and have it hidden. It rarely show up now, I guess there's only a single pixel row at the top of the screen that activates it.

Good idea though emptying it of most of the contents.

Alan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]