MAC OS X: Forum

Maxtor III external drive not recognized

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brion DingesMaxtor III external drive not recognized
by on Feb 6, 2008 at 4:55:55 pm

I work on a PowerMac G5 and most recent version of OS X. I have been saving some media files (from FCP) to my external drive which is Maxtor OneTouch III. Recently when I booted up I got a message saying the device I plugged in is not compatible to Mac (it's not recognizing the external drive anymore) and it wants me to partition it again to recognize the drive. However, if I do this I get a warning message from my Disk Utility that says "Warning! Saving the new volumes will erase all existing volumes This can NOT be undone".

I'm assuming this means I would loss my video data. I've done an exhaustive troubleshoot through Maxtor (which is basically just telling me to check connections and reboot which I have done numerous times).

Is there anything more I can do to get the drive recognized? I know the lesson is to back up work - but my internal drive was full. Any thoughts on fixing this headache would be greatly appreciated as I need my data back!

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Maxtor III external drive not recognized
by on Feb 8, 2008 at 5:00:45 pm

I can't promise anything, but I'd start with this:

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

Return to posts index

Brion DingesRe: Maxtor III external drive not recognized
by on Feb 8, 2008 at 5:04:37 pm

Thank you Jeff. It appears that there was a simple solution - although it all seemed a bit bizarre to me. Apparently, after I boot up - with the external drive disconnected - and THEN I connect it to the computer after it booted up - it recognized the external drive with all the files. Needless to say, I backed it up immediately after this happened. Hope this helps anyone else who might experience the same problem with an external drive. Appreciate the links you sent - always good to have.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]