MAC OS X: Forum

Move Groups of Files With Terminal?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan WharmbyMove Groups of Files With Terminal?
by on Jan 23, 2008 at 10:28:23 pm

Hey All,

So I saw Gridiron Software's Flow last week at Macworld. Can't wait for it to hit public beta. It got me thinking about workflow. I'm pretty good about using a consistent name convention, and trying to manually manage thousands of assets is driving me nuts. Not to mention costing us big bucks in lost productivity.

Is it possible to create a script or action in either Terminal or Automator that would search a mounted volume and collect all files starting with a certain prefix? Like: "Take all files starting with 'omg_svmh_ehc' and move them to a folder." or zip them into an archive, or whatever. I've heard of people using terminal to do this, but I have zero experience with Terminal or Automator. What do you think?

Daniel Wharmby
Art Director
OMG Media Group
Salinas, California
Compressionista.typepad.com

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Move Groups of Files With Terminal?
by on Jan 24, 2008 at 2:16:41 am

[Dan Wharmby] " I've heard of people using terminal to do this, but I have zero experience with Terminal"

If you don't know what you are doing when you are using terminal then you could really screw up your system.

I say STAY OUT OF THERE!

Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Move Groups of Files With Terminal?
by on Jan 24, 2008 at 5:52:10 pm

Make a smart folder. (Option-Command-N)

Configure it to find what you want (All files with 'omg_svmh_ehc', for example) and then save the folder. It will auto update if changes are made to the files elsewhere.

Then, use the folder to move, zip, or do whatever to all those files.

Not the one-step option you were looking for, but it should prove to be more flexible.

Return to posts index

Dan WharmbyRe: Move Groups of Files With Terminal?
by on Jan 24, 2008 at 10:55:50 pm

Smart folders! Why didn't I think of that? Greatly reduces my chances of turning a perfectly serviceable G5 into a perfectly serviceable doorstop via messing around in Terminal.

Thanks,

Thanks,

Daniel Wharmby
Art Director
OMG Media Group
Read me at Compressionista

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]