MAC OS X: Forum

Replace MacBook Hard Drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory McKechnieReplace MacBook Hard Drive
by on Jan 20, 2008 at 2:44:57 pm

A friend has a Macbook (bought October 2006) which needs the hard drive replaced. I've looked at http://www.transintl.com and it seems she can get either an Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital or Toshiba. My question is, does it matter which she goes with? I assume any of the hard drives listed will be fine, it's just a matter of what she wants to spend. Would that be the correct assumption?

Also, I'm probably going to be replacing the drive for her. Not having seen her manual, is it relatively straight forward to replace the hard drive in those Macbooks? After installed, is it just a matter of putting the install disk in and reformatting?

Thanks for any help,
Cory

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Replace MacBook Hard Drive
by on Jan 21, 2008 at 1:52:45 am

Instructions:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

As far as I know, as long as the drive is the right size with the right connection it doesn't' matter what brand you buy.

And yes, just put the OS CD in when you're done and start it up. It SHOULD boot the CD on its own when it doesn't see an OS, but if it doesn't restart again holding the "C" key. That will force the CD to boot first.

Oh, and remember to format the drive as Mac Extended (HFS+) with Journaling turned on before installing the OS.

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnieRe: Replace MacBook Hard Drive
by on Jan 21, 2008 at 2:23:50 am

Many thanks Jeff, that seems straight-forward enough. I'll let her know that it won't be too painful financially.
Cory

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Replace MacBook Hard Drive
by on Jan 21, 2008 at 3:02:18 am

[Jeff Carpenter] "if it doesn't restart again holding the "C" key. That will force the CD to boot first."

That is no longer true. The "C" works for the older PPC machines, the "D" works with Intel Macs.

Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Replace MacBook Hard Drive
by on Jan 21, 2008 at 3:36:22 am

I just tried it on my Jan. 2006 Intel Macbook Pro (with Leopard) and "C" worked but "D" didn't.

Maybe that was a change made to models at some later date? I guess try it one way, Cory, and then the other! One of them will do it.

Return to posts index

Rennie KlymykRe: Replace MacBook Hard Drive
by on Jan 21, 2008 at 6:58:06 pm

[Zane Barker] "That is no longer true. The "C" works for the older PPC machines, the "D" works with Intel Macs."

This is obviously a case of logic master minded by Apple. Apple would think if you were unable to boot up so couldn't go on line and misplaced your manual and your software was on a Cd you would logically hold down the "C" key (for Cd).

However if your newer software came on a Dvd that would no longer work. A logical thinker would hold down the "D" key (for Dvd).

[Vizzini (Wallace Shawn) in Princess Bride] "You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

Sorry folks, I couldn't resist a bit of humor!

"everything is broken" ......1st. coined by Esther Philips I believe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]