MAC OS X: Forum

Quick delete

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan LaceyQuick delete
by on Jan 8, 2008 at 4:41:45 pm

I'm a fairly new MacHead.

What's the quickest way to delete files with OSX? You know like shiftdelete in windows - no wastetrash bin nonsense.

I've recently bought my first MBP(14") and unlike the G5, where I've got plenty of screen real estate, I've made the dock tiny so it doesn't keep popping up interrupting workflow.

Consequently whenever I need to delete files (and I inevitably want to delete them permanently) I have to go to the small trash bin icon to empty it. A real pain.

Also is there a way of putting the trashbin icon on the desktop?

Thanks for any help

Alan

Return to posts index

Michael HancockRe: Quick delete
by on Jan 8, 2008 at 6:26:51 pm

I believe it's Apple+Delete.

EDIT: Nevermind, that just lets the delete key work at the finder level, but it still sends the file to the trash. You could Apple+Delete to send the file to the trash, then hit Apple+Option+Shift+Delete to empty the trash without a warning dialogue. It's a lot of keystrokes, but at least it will kind of do what you want.

Michael.

Return to posts index

Alan LaceyRe: Quick delete
by on Jan 8, 2008 at 8:57:43 pm

Thanks Michael. Thats almost as tortuous as emptying the trash bin though.

Another funny thing about about the MBP is that it doesn't have a delete key!

Alan

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Quick delete
by on Jan 9, 2008 at 12:33:58 am

[Alan Lacey] "Another funny thing about about the MBP is that it doesn't have a delete key! "

Yes it does, ALL macs do, it is where the backspace key is on windows computers.

You don't have to empty the trash through keyboard short cuts, most people only empty the trash every couple of days anyway. Once you use Command+Delete you can empty the trash through the finder menu.

Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

craig alanRe: Quick delete
by on Jan 9, 2008 at 8:05:36 pm

First, turn off "show warning to empty trash" in finder preferences (command-comma or in the Finder menu).

Then command-delete>command-shift-delete is two quick taps. your hands remain in the same place.

OSX 10.4.11; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; G5 dual 2.5 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Alan LaceyRe: Quick delete
by on Jan 16, 2008 at 4:23:05 pm

Thanks Craig, useful info.

Alan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]