MAC OS X: Forum

Is it possible to change administrator/username on a G5?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John West
Is it possible to change administrator/username on a G5?
on Jan 4, 2008 at 7:21:09 pm

Hi, all.

I am hoping to delete all references to the original user name on my G5. I have created a new account and have given it administrator privileges. I then copied all the existing files from the old account into the new one.

Can I now change or delete the short name of the original user without creating disarray, confusion and apocalyptic terror?

Many Thanks!

John

Return to posts index

Chris Mackenzie
Re: Is it possible to change administrator/username on a G5?
on Jan 4, 2008 at 8:10:51 pm

As long as you have logged in as the new user and everything works then yes you can, but to be safe I always have two admin accounts so that I have a backup. Delete the account from System prefs and it will ask you if you want to save a disk image of it which is handy in case you find later you left something behind.

Aloha,

-Chris

Return to posts index

John West
on Jan 4, 2008 at 8:52:12 pm

Thanks, Chris. Tried that, but when I logged on as the new user, none of the preferences I had earlier copied into the new user folder were there. So it was coming up as a virgin machine, so to speak. The old user account is still fine however, and the folders there are all still intact.

Have any suggestions?

Thanks again!

J

Return to posts index

Chris Mackenzie
on Jan 8, 2008 at 2:11:21 am

Most likely the problem is that you don't have rights to the files. You need to change the owner over to you.

once you copy over the prefs to your folder:

in terminal navigate to the users folder

cd /users

sudo chown -R

(ex: chown -R johndoe johndoe)

sudo means do it with elevated permissions
chown is change owner
-R means recursive to all the folders

Hope that makes sense, let me know if not.

Aloha,

-Chris

Return to posts index

John West
on Jan 17, 2008 at 9:30:14 pm

Thanks very much for the info, Chris. I think I'm going to wait until I have my current hard drive safely cloned elsewhere before I perform these commands. (If I change the ownership, I am concerned that the original set of user data might be nullified.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]