MAC OS X: Forum

Unable to open downloads on Leopard

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DMUnable to open downloads on Leopard
by on Dec 19, 2007 at 7:56:56 pm

I just upgraded to Leopard and when I download a file (for example a .doc) a script from my email using safari, the downloaded file has filename.doc.html extension on the end therefore I am unable to open it. I poked around in preferences but did not find a way to disable this feature...any ideas.
Thanks,
DM

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Unable to open downloads on Leopard
by on Dec 19, 2007 at 8:47:07 pm

It sounds like you're trying to download a file attachment from a message on a webmail account, right?
Is it a dot mac account or other, like an ISP mail account?
Have you tried right-clicking (control-clicking) the download link and selecting the "Save Selection As.." choice, or just double clicking the attachment icon?
What results if you go to the downloaded file and delete the .html extension and then try to open the file?

Return to posts index

Donnamarie FloydRe: Unable to open downloads on Leopard
by on Dec 20, 2007 at 5:20:28 am

When I delete the html and try to open the script it just shows up with the a garbage screen. I did try save target as, save linked file, all the options provided the same results...
any other thoughts...

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Unable to open downloads on Leopard
by on Dec 26, 2007 at 6:33:23 am

If you're using an older webmail application then you probably shouldn't use any ctrl-clicking or right clicking. In some of these webmail applications there is a link that you must click to download the file, and this link often points to a script (not the file directly). The problem may be that you are downloading the script instead of the file.

It's hard to know exactly what is wrong without knowing more specifics about your situation. What browser are you using? What webmail service? Have you sent an attachment to yourself to see if that works?

Darby Edelen
Designer
Left Coast Digital
Santa Cruz, CA

Return to posts index

DM FloydRe: Unable to open downloads on Leopard
by on Dec 26, 2007 at 6:05:36 pm

I am using Firefox and that took care of the problem...I gave up on safari with leopard!
BTW, power mac G5, current charter.net webmail account, yes sent attachments to myself, works on my old G4 with Tiger...

DM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]