MAC OS X: Forum

How long should "c" take for DW startup?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob ColeHow long should "c" take for DW startup?
by on Dec 8, 2007 at 6:00:22 pm

I was copying files to a firewire drive and noticed that the copying process was stuck at the same point for a couple hours.

I couldn't shut Camino down, despite using Force Quit. I tried all the classic key combo's but no luck. So I used the power button.

The Mac restarted just fine. Then I got a bright idea (famous last words): Disk Warrior the system drive.

I put the DW disk in, restarted, pressed "C" and got the spinning circle (not the beach ball) under the apple logo forever. When I released "c" the Mac rebooted from the system drive, not the DW disk.

Here's my really bad move: I reset Prefs to start from the DW disk. It will do that. It takes awhile, but DW comes up. So I checked the system drive, and tried to reset Prefs to start from the system drive. But Prefs was shaded out. That's when I made a panic post to this forum, but I found a page that told me I could press "option" and choose the startup drive.

But I still wonder: should it really take forever (never) to hold "c" down to get the Mac to start up from whatever is in the CD tray? Or should I just use "option" since that came up almost immediately?

One caveat: I have a KVM switch, and just before using the "option" key I connected the keyboard directly to the Mac -- wonder whether that could have made a difference.

Thanks!

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: How long should "c" take for DW startup?
by on Dec 8, 2007 at 7:50:23 pm

I believe that on Intel machines you now hold down D, but disk warrior could be an exception.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]