MAC OS X: Forum

mail suddenly won't remember passwords

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Provostmail suddenly won't remember passwords
by on Nov 25, 2007 at 9:06:02 am

now i have to re-enter mail passwords for every account every time i retrieve mail. been on apple discussions. deleted all keychains. re-entered everything. no luck. now what?!?!
deleted mail servers and re-entered. no luck. anyone else?

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: mail suddenly won't remember passwords
by on Nov 25, 2007 at 4:22:34 pm

I have seen that happen when there is a problem with your mail server.

But you could also try deleting the entire keychain not just the email passwords from it. There could be some corruption in the keychain file itself.

Return to posts index

Paul ProvostRe: mail suddenly won't remember passwords
by on Nov 25, 2007 at 7:20:31 pm

hey
thanks, but I've deleted my key chain twice. then deleted every thing "keychain" I could find. none of my passwords are being saved - airport, nothing!
what is up?!?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 26, 2007 at 3:14:32 am

Did you delete from with in the Keychain Access application or did you delete the file that Keychain Access stores things in?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 26, 2007 at 7:30:02 am

both.
and moved all keychain files to trash.
ran keychain repair and it said cant repair - reinstall os.
moved files from trash back to libraries and now it all works.
leopard not ready for prime time.
sure regret installing it.
no chance of it touching 8 other systems ive got.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 26, 2007 at 7:41:36 am

[paul Provost] "leopard not ready for prime time.
sure regret installing it. "

Totally NOT true. It sounds like you didn't do what has been recommended on the cow MANY times. Back up and start fresh (thats right erase and install)

That is what I did and I have experienced no problems at all.

You also NEVER mentioned that you had just upgraded to Leopard. If you would have said that response would have been different.

As with ANY new OS, Mac, Windows whatever you choose. It is ALWAYS better to start fresh with a new OS.

I am betting that there were some underlying problems with your keychain before you upgraded to the now OS. The upgrade just brought them to the surface. Any big upgrade to the OS can do that to a small program that you never knew you had.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 26, 2007 at 3:10:29 pm

maybe i was unclear. this was a fresh install. tiger was wiped. what i meant by "upgrade" was by installing a supposedly "improved" os.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: mail suddenly won't remember passwords
by on Nov 29, 2007 at 4:30:32 pm

Are you using an iphone? Multiple computers to check email simultaneously? Many smaller company servers (like the one that hosts my mail) will reject incoming requests if they get too many at once - or within say, a minute or two.

if using an iphone as well as a mac, this is the workaround. Set up a gmail account - fwd a copy of all mails to said gmail account, then delete all accounts from your phone. Set up an "other' mail account (not the typical gmail setting). Gmail lists how to set up IMAP on the iphone. Then, add the account you want as an additional account to your gmail account settings (this makes anything sent from google look like it's coming from your real account - nobody will know it's a google account your sending from).

Basically, gmail servers can handle multiple incoming requests - most smaller servers/hosting companies can't. If you don't have an iphone, this process will still work fine but on your mac instead of an iphone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]