MAC OS X: Forum

Advice re Capturing Digi Beta and VHS.

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james948
Advice re Capturing Digi Beta and VHS.
on Nov 13, 2007 at 3:57:33 pm

Dear Forum,

It's been a while since I have posted but I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I'm in the process of trying to find the easiest and most economic way of capturing some digi-beta tapes (around 200) and some regular VHS tapes (around the same number). The intention is to capture them and form a database that can link to them quickly.

Can anyone recommend any hardware that I could beg, borrow or steal in the New York area that would be able to do this ?

I'm rather in the dark with digi-beta. Am I correct that they are already digitised and simply need to be captured (as opposed to analogue VHS that needs to be digitised)?

I'm using a Macbook (and a soon-to-be-purchased mammoth hard drive), FCP, Leopard but the database will be on PC so again, any advice about a good (and cheap) piece of software that would act as a database that, on the click of a button, would bring up the relevant video, would be fantastic.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Very best wishes,

James

Return to posts index

David Smith
Re: Advice re Capturing Digi Beta and VHS.
on Nov 19, 2007 at 1:55:08 am

[james948] "I'm in the process of trying to find the easiest and most economic way of capturing some digi-beta tapes (around 200) and some regular VHS tapes (around the same number). The intention is to capture them and form a database that can link to them quickly.

Can anyone recommend any hardware that I could beg, borrow or steal in the New York area that would be able to do this ?

First question would be.... what codec are you wanting to capture them to? You could use the MOTU V3HD, the AJA io-HD or Convergent Design's SD-Connect. (sticking with your Macbook. There are many other options for a tower)

[james948] I'm rather in the dark with digi-beta. Am I correct that they are already digitised and simply need to be captured (as opposed to analogue VHS that needs to be digitised)?

Not really. You'll be taking the digi-beta signal out of the deck as either a digital SDI stream or as analog. Your capture device would then transcode or re-digitize into the codec of your choice. A AJA LHe card would give you the ability to do both, and you'll need some form of analog input for your VHS, be it a converter or a card like the LHe

[james948] I'm using a Macbook (and a soon-to-be-purchased mammoth hard drive), FCP, Leopard but the database will be on PC so again, any advice about a good (and cheap) piece of software that would act as a database that, on the click of a button, would bring up the relevant video, would be fantastic.
"

More questions:
HMMM, how's FCP running for you on Leopard?
Have you figured out how much disk space you need? That of course depends on the codec.

When you say "on the click of a button, would bring up the relevant video" do you mean the actual media files you've digitized? How about bringing up a small preview movie of the clip, would that do? If so you should look at CatDV Pro from Square Box Software. Excellent database functions and creates it's own small preview files directly from your source media. Available for both OSX and Windows.

Hardware wise I might be able to come up with something. Tell me a little about the project and your timeline getting this done.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]