MAC OS X: Forum

Problem installing .pfm & .PFB fonts

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Skywalker
Problem installing .pfm & .PFB fonts
on Nov 7, 2007 at 2:59:20 pm

I've been sent some custom fonts from a client (a high end car manufacture) that I'm trying to us in Final Cut, but my Mac doesn't seem to know what to do with them. These are the only fonts they seem able to supply.

Font Book won't recognise them, I tried just dropping them in the Font folder in the libary, loose, and restart FCP but to no avail.

The client says they managed to install the font on their Mac at home but I'm stuggling.

Could any one help please?

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.10

Thanks
Luke

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Problem installing .pfm & .PFB fonts
on Nov 8, 2007 at 4:41:17 am

From Wikipedia
PFM
An abbreviation for Printer Font Metrics, part of a Type 1 font description used by the Microsoft Windows operating system.

PFB
Printer Font Binary, a binary PostScript font format created by Adobe, usually carrying ".PFB" file name extension. It contains a font's glyph data

FAQ Info at http://www.postscript.org and Adobe tech documents date to 1998 and 1992 respectively so may not be of much help, as they refer to pre-OS X Mac issues.

Suggest finding exactly how your client was able to install and use these fonts on his Mac.

Remember also that FCP will only recognize and use TrueType fonts. Other titling apps and plugs (Boris, for one) are able to deal with Type 1 Postscript fonts.
FontBook should see an actual Postscript Type 1 font, but probably not the pfm or pfb descriptions.

Return to posts index

Skywalker
Re: Problem installing .pfm & .PFB fonts
on Nov 9, 2007 at 9:23:18 am

Thanks Chuck.

When I had Googled the extensions everything did look pre or early OS X.

My client claims some of the fonts came up with icons she could load easily into Font Book. Do you know of an extention I could edit the files to look like and trick Font Bookw into trying to open them or will this just not work?

Luke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]