MAC OS X: Forum

Connectivity

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Sterling
Connectivity
on Nov 3, 2007 at 3:14:43 pm

If I were to have desktop #1 (G5 dual 2GHZ) with a firewire drive connected to it and another desktop #2 (MAC PRO QUAD 2.6) connected via LAN, your basic linksys router, can I work files on the firewire drive with my desktop #2 computer directly through my router.

For example, Lets say I was using final cut pro and the media was the firewire drive connected desktop #1 but my Final Cut workstation is on Desktop #2. Is my LAN sufficient to make this work?

thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Connectivity
on Nov 5, 2007 at 4:11:36 pm

Yup, it'll work fine. Here are 3 things to keep in mind:

1) Make sure the router and ethernet cards on both computers all support gigabit speeds. You can easily test this by dragging a multi-GB video file from one computer to the other. It should take arond 1 minute per GB to copy. If it's taking more like 5-10 minutes per GB, you need to upgrade something.

2) I do this with DV video and it works fine. I've not yet tested it with any other formats, so I can't promise you that other, larger formats will work well. (I can say that I've done multi-cam edits this way, running 3 DV streams at once, and that works too.)

3) This is all great for editing, but I wouldn't trust any capturing or playback-to-tape using this method. Likewise, if you're compressing for DVD you'll be better off just moving the firewire drive to the computer that you want to do the compressing on.

Return to posts index

Martin Sterling
Re: Connectivity
on Nov 6, 2007 at 2:55:42 pm

Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]