MAC OS X: Forum

Make ethernet disk mount automatically

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henrik Helms
Make ethernet disk mount automatically
on Nov 2, 2007 at 12:08:02 pm

Hi!
I have just bought a Lacie ethernetdisk and want it to mount automatically when I log on to my computers.
What is the right way to do so?

Kind regards
Henrik

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
Re: Make ethernet disk mount automatically
on Nov 2, 2007 at 7:49:48 pm

You should be able to do this with Automator:
Open Automator
Click on "Finder" in the Library Window on the left side
From the "Action" window, drag "Get Specified Server" to the workflow area (open space on the right side)
Click the "+" that appears in the worflow and Select the server
From the "Action" window drag "Connect to Servers" below "Get Specified Servers" in the workflow view.

Save the Workflow.

Make sure the server is unmounted and then press the big play button in the top right to see if it works. If it does, go to "file>Save As..." and save it as an Application.

Now, to make it do this when you log in, click on the blue Apple in the top right of the finder window and go to system preferences.

Choose "Accounts"
Go to your user account, click on "Log in Items" and add your new application to the list (by clicking on the "+" and going to where you saved it).

Keep in mind if you do this and the drive is not able to be mounted (not turned on, not available,etc.) it will probably take a long time for you to be able to log in to your account.

A better idea might be to mount the disk like you usually do and then drag it's icon to the dock. If you have saved the password to your Keychain, it will mount it by clicking on it from the Dock

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Why Automator?
on Nov 4, 2007 at 3:52:31 pm

I've had luck in the past just using the 2nd half of those instructions. In the "Log in" items under accounts, just add the hard drive you want to the list of launching apps. It should just mount it.

The automator thing sounds like a good backup in case that doesn't work with that particular drive, but I've always been able to just put a network drive on that list and have it just work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]