MAC OS X: Forum

network issues

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
b.maughon
network issues
on Oct 18, 2007 at 4:20:06 pm

I'm trying to connect a laptop to a g5 desktop. I connected the 2 with a 6 to 6 pin firewire cable. I can see the connection with the laptop, however I cannot see any files, and I cannot see the connection with the desktop at all.

Also, when I try to connect to other computers with my desktop through the network, I can see the other computers when I click on the network, but when I try to connect it gives me the same error message: THE ALIAS "NAME OF COMPUTER" COULD NOT BE OPENED, BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL ITEM CANNOT BE FOUND. (Of course the message is not in all caps.)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: network issues
on Oct 18, 2007 at 5:14:40 pm

If all you are trying to do is copy files, then sure you can network the two together, but it will probably be easier if you just put the mac laptop into target mode. To do that just restart it while holding down the T key, connect them by firewire and the laptop will show up like an external hard drive. now copy whatever you want to or from it.

The problem you are having with networking is settings, by putting the one computer into target mode you don't have to deal with any settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]