MAC OS X: Forum

WORD for .mac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donna SmootWORD for .mac
by on Aug 20, 2007 at 6:47:12 pm

I bought a new MacPro computer. I bought Word for .mac and installed it on my computer. I've used it quite successfully when I open it and then choose a file.

My issue is that on the new computer is a Word for .mac Trial program. Whenever I click on one of the .docs from my desktop to have it open, it automatically triggers the Trial program asking me if I wish to use it. I have to hit "Not at this time" to close it, then open my installed WORD and open my file of choice within the program.

If I "uninstall" it, it says it will look for all WORD programs and uninstall. I don't want to disturb all of my docs I have on file in my computer.

I've tried trashing the .mac Trial version, but then when I double click on any of my .docs, I get an error window, and then I still have to open my installed WORD first before opening a doc.

How can I get my computer to default to opening my installed version over the trial version offered on my computer? And then will it allow me to uninstall the trial version without disturbing my present docs?

This may not be the forum to ask this, but if anyone could help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Donna

Donna

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: WORD for .mac
by on Aug 20, 2007 at 8:01:01 pm

Find one of your documents and select it in the finder. Hit Command-i.

Select the 'Open this Program with' section and set it to open with Word and not the trial version. Click "Change All" and all the Word documents will take that setting.

This is a very common question I get and I think it's pretty dumb that they can't do something about this. I don't know if this is Apple's or Microsoft's issue to fix, but either way it's a pretty annoying issue for new Mac Office owners. Trial programs shouldn't interfere with the ACTUAL program it's trying to promote!

So no, it's not just you.

Return to posts index

Donna SmootRe: WORD for .mac
by on Aug 20, 2007 at 8:27:32 pm

Thanks, Jeff, for replying. I tried that, actually before you answered - I found it under the Help menu. It hasn't worked. I tried it several times with different docs - I restarted my computer thinking it might need to reset. It has the trial version as the default and won't let me change it. Is there a place I can change the default? THEN trash the trial? Thx!

Donna

Return to posts index

Phil RadelatRe: WORD for .mac
by on Aug 21, 2007 at 12:14:32 am

The installation issues are with the operating system. OSX has hidden program setup files similar to the way Windows does. I don't know how to find the files you need to delete, as they are coded, I believe. I've had similar problems with Adobe software on the Mac I work with. If one could easily find these files (and modify or delete them as needed, of course), you could run off trial versions of any program indefinitely! :-D

If I remember correctly, you need to uninstall both programs and reinstall the regular version. Take note of the setup screens, you may find it defaulting to a trial version, or with a serial number already showing up that may be for a trial version. Make sure the proper serial number is installed. That SHOULD take care of the issue.

If that doesn't work, unless you really need to specifically use Word and want to put up with the MS help center, you could just dump it altogether and use Open Office. Open Office can read and write to MS Office documents, and it is an entire office suite like MS Office, except it's a bit cheaper. :-)

Open Office is free:
http://www.openoffice.org/

Return to posts index

Phil RadelatRe: WORD for .mac
by on Aug 21, 2007 at 12:15:12 am

The installation issues are with the operating system. OSX has hidden program setup files similar to the way Windows does. I don't know how to find the files you need to delete, as they are coded, I believe. I've had similar problems with Adobe software on the Mac I work with. If one could easily find these files (and modify or delete them as needed, of course), you could run off trial versions of any program indefinitely! :-D

If I remember correctly, you need to uninstall both programs and reinstall the regular version. Take note of the setup screens, you may find it defaulting to a trial version, or with a serial number already showing up that may be for a trial version. Make sure the proper serial number is installed. That SHOULD take care of the issue.

If that doesn't work, unless you really need to specifically use Word and want to put up with the MS help center, you could just dump it altogether and use Open Office. Open Office can read and write to MS Office documents, and it is an entire office suite like MS Office, except it's a bit cheaper. :-)

Open Office is free:
http://www.openoffice.org/

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: WORD for .mac
by on Aug 21, 2007 at 3:23:44 am

[Donna Smoot] "My issue is that on the new computer is a Word for .mac Trial program. Whenever I click on one of the .docs from my desktop to have it open, it automatically triggers the Trial program asking me if I wish to use it"

All you have to do is simply trash the trial version (and empty the trash) and install the full version. then remove the links in your dock because they are connected to the trial program, and add links from the full version.

Also your subject heading is vary misleading. .Mac (dot mac) is a service that Apple sells (it is great by the way) and is has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft office.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]