MAC OS X: Forum

missing space from start-up disk

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aynsb6
missing space from start-up disk
on Aug 19, 2007 at 2:10:06 am

Hi there,

I am running a PowerBook G4 on OSX 10.3.9 with a 93 GB capacity hard drive. A few weeks ago, I accidentally removed my iPod without first ejecting it and, I don't know if that's the reason, but I suddenly seemed to be missing about 4 GB of free space on my start-up disk.

I went through to look for any strange new files and repaired the disk permissions, but none of this seemed to help. So I deleted some other stuff and went on my merry way.

Yeterday, I'm not sure, but I think I suddenly had some space appear again.

and now today, I went out while leaving some files to upload to an FPT from an EXTERNAL hard drive, and came back to find that ALL the free space on my start-up disk was suddenly missing. I had 0 KB listed in teh finder, and couldn't even send an email.

I've now emptied the trash so I have a few hundred MB, enough to at least function, but need to figure out what is going on and how I can fix it. Any advice?

Cheers,
aynsb6

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: missing space from start-up disk
on Aug 19, 2007 at 3:05:36 pm

Google whatsize down load that program and run it. The program will scan your hard drive and tell you what is taking up all the space.

Return to posts index

aynsb6
on Aug 23, 2007 at 12:42:35 am

Hey, thanks so much for the tip!! Looks like I found the file:

Macintosh HD/Library/Logs/Console/my user folder/console.log.2 @ 6.2 GB.

I want to delete this right away, but I would like to know what happened to create it in the first place. Any one have any ideas?

Return to posts index

aynsb6
on Aug 23, 2007 at 1:00:14 am

ok, looks like it has to do with an iTunes update:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4961687

EVerything seems to be a-ok now. Will write again if that changes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]