MAC OS X: Forum

Constantly creating new folders

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob ColeConstantly creating new folders
by on Jul 26, 2007 at 3:25:44 am

Still feel like a newbie to Mac after one year. One thing that keeps happening, in FCP and now in iTunes: I set a folder for digitizing video or importing audio, and instead of capturing to that folder, FCP/iTunes will capture to an identically-named folder INSIDE that folder.

Instead of capturing to (external drive)/BuyoutMusic, iTunes captures to (external drive)/BuyoutMusic/BuyoutMusic. (Actually, iTunes captured the first CD to the correct folder, later CDs to the sub-folder.)

Obviously I'm not understanding some basic concept here, perhaps about relative folder location. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Coleand iTunes re-creates the folders
by on Jul 26, 2007 at 3:52:18 am

My objective is to put my music library on a portable hard drive, so I can take it with me for portable editing with FCP.

As I stated in the first post, iTunes tends to create a sub-folder inside the main folder (I think this is because I specified that iTunes organize cuts by Artist, which I can stop doing). I can move those files back to the main folder, and delete the sub-folder. But here's the kicker: when I play a cut in iTunes, iTunes immediately re-creates the sub-folder, and the cut that I play in iTunes gets moved right back into that sub-folder.

Since my whole plan is to make a nice, easily-accessible music library on-line, I don't want a hodge-podge of folders, and I especially don't want iTunes to start moving files around when they are going to be used in FCP.

It appears that I'm stuck with whatever iTunes does initially. Or is there some way to erase the iTunes database and force iTunes to make a new catalog, based on the file structure that I want?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]