MAC OS X: Forum

donating gear and the results

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fourlegzdonating gear and the results
by on Jul 11, 2007 at 5:16:16 pm

I would like to be a good samaritan and donate my old G4 to a starving student I have heard about. It works great. It has OS X & Classic & a bunch of software installed, FCP, MSoffice, quicken, Itunes etc. I am however concerned about my security and also the software on there. I cleaned out all the documents (I hope) but I have a G5 I use now with many upgrades from the G4. Will there be any problems if he uses my software on the old G4. Like when I go to upgrade again if he has upgraded the other computer. I wont really be in contact with him to know. Should I wipe everything clean and let him get his own OSX? I am not sure where all hidden security features are or old passwords, keychains and such located to really know if I have gotten rid of everything. What do good, charitable people do in a case like this? Hate to sound paranoid but don't want to regret something later that I have done out of ignorance.
Thanks
M

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: donating gear and the results
by on Jul 11, 2007 at 5:28:13 pm

Do a complete erase and install the computer and only include software on the computer that you are willing to give him the disks to.

By installing software like FCP and then giving him the computer and you keeping the disks, you have just given him illegal software. Besides what douse he do if the computer crashes and he needs to reinstall. Many upgrades require you to stick in the original disk to verify that you own the original version.

Don't teach the kid to pirate software. Include all ALL software disks for anything on the computer.

Return to posts index

fourlegzRe: donating gear and the results
by on Jul 11, 2007 at 5:42:19 pm

I didn't realize it would be considered a pirating situation. Good to know this. What about the OSX that I purchased & put on there? Is that the same thing? If I give him the install disks for the version 9 that came with it wouldn't that put me in the same situation? If it was licensed to me and then I have used that license to upgrade to OSX?

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: donating gear and the results
by on Jul 11, 2007 at 5:50:33 pm

Your new computer will have come with its own OS X disks, so you should include the OS disks with the computer.

I see no reason that you need to include OS 9 with it, I highly doubt that the kid will want or need any thing OS9, it is just simply OLD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]