MAC OS X: Forum

Sluggish performance...???

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Williams
Sluggish performance...???
on Jun 19, 2007 at 4:55:15 pm

I am running Tiger on a G5 dual 2.5 and since yesterday Mail would not open and say that the directory was full or something and could no to open. Then, I was working in FCP 5.0.4 (i think that's the version) and one of those slow black overlays came over my screen and BAM. Crashed. I had to restart.

Today, I tried opening FCP and it took a few minutes for it to open. And every move I make in the OS, the dreaded color wheel rears its head and spins for a few minutes before one of two things happen:

1. the application stops responding
or
2. the app finally opens after a ridiculous period of time

its so slow now i cant even work on it.

So far, I have repaired the start up disk permissions and that did not help.
Any ideas what might be going on. I've had issues with this boot drive before and had it repaired. Should I just trash this drive and use a new one as the boot drive? Why is the OS so sluggish???

Any help would be greatly appreciateds. I have looked in the archives and found nothing similar to this problem. thank you in advance.

cheers,
Colin
http://www.pensivecrow.com

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: Sluggish performance...???
on Jun 19, 2007 at 5:46:26 pm

[Colin Williams] "one of those slow black overlays came over my screen and BAM. Crashed"

You had a kernal panic.

Sometimes they are caused by software, but are most often caused by a bad piece of hardware.

Sign up for an appointment at the Genius Bar at your closest apple store and have them take a look at it.

Return to posts index

Colin Williams
on Jun 19, 2007 at 5:50:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I understand the Genius Bar option as I've had to take this same machine there once before. However, I am looking for other options before having to fork over my dollars. Is there anything else at all that I can try before unplugging a thousand chords and carrying this thing across town?
Thanks,
Colin

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Jun 19, 2007 at 5:56:36 pm

[Colin Williams] "Thanks for the info. I understand the Genius Bar option as I've had to take this same machine there once before. However, I am looking for other options before having to fork over my dollars. Is there anything else at all that I can try before unplugging a thousand chords and carrying this thing across town?"

They are not going to charge you to look at it and if it is software they help you at the bar or give instructions of what to do at home. The only way you would have to fork over money is if there is a physical problem with a hardware component in the computer. And you would have to do this anyway.

So saying that you are going to have to fork over money douse not hold up.

Return to posts index

Colin Williams
on Jun 19, 2007 at 6:05:11 pm

doesn't hold up, eh?

ok, ok. sheesh.

Truth be told, I'm lazy and would rather not drive 20 minutes across town to the Apple Store when there might be other options for troubleshooting that may yield a solution from here. And considering I drive 60 miles a day just to get here to my studio...driving more often than necessary is not always my favorite thing to do. And gas prices suck as well.

*shrug*

And for the record: I thought THIS was the real genius bar! Order Up! ;)

I guess I have no other options.

Colin

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Jun 19, 2007 at 6:10:40 pm

I'm sorry but kernal panics can have so many different causes. if it is hard war then you have to figure out which piece of hardware is causing it. Its not really something that some one can trouble shoot online.

But you could try just reinstalling the OS, if the issue persists then take it in.

Return to posts index

Colin Williams
on Jun 19, 2007 at 6:19:26 pm

I would re-install the OS. But I did an online download and never was given the Tiger CD. Maybe they'll give me one at the Apple Store. So it looks like I need to take it in one wway or the other. *sigh*

Thanks.
Colin

PS - Do you prefer to be anonymous? Just curious. It's just that when I began posting to this forum in the beginning it was encouraged to includfe your "real" info. Anyway. Thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Jun 19, 2007 at 6:23:14 pm

[Colin Williams] "I would re-install the OS. But I did an online download and never was given the Tiger CD."

Apple douse not sell the OS as a download. Did you illegally download the software. You could not have upgraded the OS with out a disk.

Return to posts index

Colin Williams
on Jun 19, 2007 at 6:46:09 pm

No, I didn't "illegally" download the software or pirate anything. And honeslty, even if I had, I feel that I lack the ignorance in thinking that installing a pirated OS would be a smart thing to do. Nor would I ever post it on a public forum. C'mon. Give me some credit. You must read a lot of these.

And you may correct me, but I remember buying it as a download. If not, the CD has made an escape.

Colin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]