MAC OS X: Forum

switching macs g4 to g5 and g5 to mac pro data

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ted brown
switching macs g4 to g5 and g5 to mac pro data
on Jun 19, 2007 at 3:54:14 pm

I am switching all my info from my g4 powermac to g5 they are both running the same os but one is a 32 bit single processor g4 and the g5 is a dual 2.3 64 bit chip is this going to create any problems transferring my old hard drive and programs etc. is there any warnings and advice so i dont lose data and also how do i move my main drive secondary internal drive and firewire into the g5 with no loss of data and no duplicate copies, how do i go about transferring all the files into the new g5 which for now will have the main drive and soon a secondary drive which i would like to hold my firewire drive and my media drive from the g4. please help - ted
also my friend is doing the same thing with his g5 but he is going to a intel based macbook pro.

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: switching macs g4 to g5 and g5 to mac pro data
on Jun 19, 2007 at 5:52:20 pm

You cannot take the drives out of your G4 and put them in the G5 they have different connections to the computer.

The easy way it to use the migration assistant, start up the new computer and it will ask you if you want to migrate data from the old, click yes and it walks you through the whole thing. It will not copy data from a second internal drive so you will need to copy that yourself.

When switching from a G5 to Intel you cannot simply switch system drives as well the Intel machine will need the Intel version of the OS. Again use the migration assistant when you first start up the computer.

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 19, 2007 at 4:17:54 am

If the old internal drives were put into external enclosures would the Intel Mac have any trouble reading and writing to them?

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Jul 19, 2007 at 5:17:20 am

First of all please do not hijack onothers thread. This one has been dead for a month.

[eyecamiam] "f the old internal drives were put into external enclosures would the Intel Mac have any trouble reading and writing to them?"

The Intel will read and wright to it fine, however if you try to boot from the Power PC drive it will cause the computer to kernal panic

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jul 19, 2007 at 5:43:17 am

sorry didn't read date -- appeared on opening page of threads.

and thanks.

OSX 10.4.7; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]