MAC OS X: Forum

Dropped Frames when capturing

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bigPFORDropped Frames when capturing
by on Jun 11, 2007 at 7:56:58 pm

I am having trouble with Final Cut Express HD dropping frames and really getting the video and audio out of sync when capturing. I realize this is an OSX forum, but I am at a loss. I am capturing via firewire from a Panasonic DVCPRO deck(AJ-D250). Any help would be great.

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: Dropped Frames when capturing
by on Jun 12, 2007 at 4:11:03 am

What type of drive are you capturing to. Is it the main system drive. NEVER use the main system drive to capture to it has enough to do running the OS and software. If it is an external drive you are using make sure it is not USB. USB only lets bursts of data go through not a constant flow of data. NEVER use USB for editing video.

Return to posts index

bigPFORRe: Dropped Frames when capturing
by on Jun 12, 2007 at 12:50:21 pm

I am capturing to the main drive. I have not had a problem for about a year capturing to the main drive until this problem surfaced about 3 weeks ago. Could you recommend a good external drive?

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: Dropped Frames when capturing
by on Jun 12, 2007 at 4:28:57 pm

any external FireWire drive that is at least 5400rpm, 7200rpm would be preferable.

Return to posts index

pixelmeisterRe: Dropped Frames when capturing
by on Jun 13, 2007 at 4:09:31 pm

Here are some helpful hints for capturing to disk inFCP, as suggested in Larry Jordan's Newsletter, which I can highly recommend.

Make sure you are not using a hard disk connected using USB.
Make sure your drive spins at least 7200 RPM, many inexpensive drives are slower.
Don't capture media to your internal boot drive.
If you are using FireWire drives, make sure your total cable length is less than 15 feet total among all devices.
Run Utilities > Disk Utility, make sure your capture disk is formatted as Mac OS Extended (see this in the Erase tab). Fat 32 is a Windows format and will always cause dropped frames.
Run Utilities > Disk Utility to repair the disk containing your scratch disks.
Do a Safe Boot on your boot disk.
If you own Disk Warrior X, rebuild the disk directories on the disk containing your scratch disks.
If all the prior steps don't work, then trash your FCP Preferences.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]