MAC OS X: Forum

Radi basics, what format in disk utility

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
audioeditorRadi basics, what format in disk utility
by on Jun 9, 2007 at 9:18:17 pm

I'm trying to set up a raid0 on a Mac G5 8-core for FCP. The five drives are showing up in disk utility. Now I assume I chose "striped" but I'm not sure about the format. MAC OS Extended (journaled); Mac OS Extended; Mac OS Extended (case sensitive journaled); Mac OS Extended (case sensitive): and I'm pretty sure I don't want MS-DOS.

After that, I'm guessing I can use the partition utility to set up the 4 partitions I'm planning for what the OS is reporting to be a 2.3 TB array?

I'm a new Mac user but I am amazed at how little basic information is out there. I saw Ron's raid article here on the COW but it is 5 or 6 years old and probably ought to be taken down or at least updated.

If you search Raid on Apple's site you only get information about their XServe product.

And the cute little booklet that comes with your Mac has nothing but the barest of necessities of information--nothing about raids. I'm really disappointed in Apple.

Thank God for the Cow!

Audioeditor

Return to posts index

audioeditorRe: Raid basics, what format in disk utility
by on Jun 9, 2007 at 9:20:38 pm

Sorry I misspelled Raid!

Return to posts index

audioeditorRe: Raid basics, what format in disk utility
by on Jun 9, 2007 at 9:38:33 pm

Also, what should the "block" size be? Help says larger for video, so does that mean 256 rather than the default 32? Is there an optimum size for fast r/w on HD and SD video files?
Thanks!
audioeditor

Return to posts index

Papa Stu in CincinnatiRe: Raid basics, what format in disk utility
by on Jul 17, 2007 at 10:17:14 pm

The answer to all your questions are here:

http://www.macworld.com/2007/05/secrets/june07geekfactor/index.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]