MAC OS X: Forum

Back Up User Accounts & Sys Prefs

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bonedaddy
Back Up User Accounts & Sys Prefs
on Jun 7, 2007 at 7:18:32 am

Hi Guys,

Im a OS X noob. Been burnt by windows to often!
Can you recommend an app. that can back up user accounts, sys prefs like iphoto, itunes, mail etc.
I would like to do a fresh install to clean up, but would like to restore the family accounts and prefs.

Thanks

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: Back Up User Accounts & Sys Prefs
on Jun 7, 2007 at 3:54:36 pm

[Bonedaddy] "Can you recommend an app. that can back up user accounts, sys prefs like iphoto, itunes, mail etc.
I would like to do a fresh install to clean up, but would like to restore the family accounts and prefs."

the iPhoto & iTunes preferences are actually user based not system based. If all you want is to reinstall just the OS then do an archive and install. To really clean the system back up only data and then do an erase and install and create a new user account after.

Any backup program can back up your home folder, .Mac comes with some back up software. Or you can do it manually.

Return to posts index

Bonedaddy
on Jun 8, 2007 at 4:06:13 am

My main concern was keeping each family members account prefs...god help me if I delete them!!!

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Jun 8, 2007 at 4:13:08 am

Like I said the iPhoto & iTunes preference files do not contain the music, photos, albums, or playlists. Playlists and photo albums info is in the library file not in the preference file. The preference file contains things like what file format itunes uses when ripping CD, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]