MAC OS X: Forum

S-ATA Drive on Win System, Transfer to a Mac?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory McKechnieS-ATA Drive on Win System, Transfer to a Mac?
by on May 21, 2007 at 3:57:06 pm

I'm purchasing a new Mac Pro and have a couple internal S-ATA 120GB drives I want to take along with me. One has nothing on it, so I'll just format it when I get it into the new system. However, the second drive contains my music collection in mp3 format (about 35GB worth) which I want to keep on the drive once I install it in the Mac.

Can I do this ... keep the music on the drive and bring it over to the Mac? Do I have to convert the drive once I install it in the Mac Pro or do I have to convert beforehand? I will also have my old Windows system up and running when I get the new Mac, so if need be I can set both up on the network and simply copy the mp3's across to the Mac, but that's such an inelegant way of doing things :)

Thanks for any help,
Cory

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: S-ATA Drive on Win System, Transfer to a Mac?
by on May 21, 2007 at 4:53:05 pm

You should be able to read the files on a the mac, so I would copy the files to your other drive and then reformat the drive for the mac.

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: S-ATA Drive on Win System, Transfer to a Mac?
by on May 21, 2007 at 5:18:06 pm

Will you have both systems at the same time?

The safest route (least chance of losing anything due to a mistake) is to network the 2 computers with ethernet and copy everything from the PC that you want. Then move the drives and reformat them at that point.

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2007 at 5:23:09 pm

[Jeff Carpenter] "The safest route (least chance of losing anything due to a mistake) is to network the 2 computers with ethernet and copy everything from the PC that you want. Then move the drives and reformat them at that point.
"

Moving the drive is no less safe, besides copying over the network would be slower then putting both drives in one computer and copying from one drive to another there.

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnieRe: S-ATA Drive on Win System, Transfer to a Mac?
by on May 22, 2007 at 8:18:42 pm

So you're saying that my NTSF-formatted drive with my mp3's on it will be seen by the Mac? If that's the case, it would be easiest to put them both in the new machine, copy the mp3's over and then re-format wouldn't it? I was afraid that the NTSF drive would not be recognized by the Mac.
Thanks,
Cory

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2007 at 9:01:04 pm

The mac will read it but cannot wright to it, that is why the data needs to be copied off and then the drive reformatted.

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnieRe: S-ATA Drive on Win System, Transfer to a Mac?
by on May 22, 2007 at 10:00:40 pm

OK perfect, I'll just install the drive, move the mp3's over and then reformat the drive ... easy enough :)
Thanks,
Cory

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]