MAC OS X: Forum

Disk Utilities Question--How to Repair the Boot Drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ToruWatanabe
Disk Utilities Question--How to Repair the Boot Drive
on May 19, 2007 at 8:55:53 am

OK, this question is pretty basic. I'm running the disk utility on my G4 (mirrored drive doors, dual 1.25 gHz PPC), and it appears my boot drive needs repair. Do I need to unmount the boot drive to repair the disk? If so, how do I then run the necessary utility?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Disk Utilities Question--How to Repair the Boot Drive
on May 19, 2007 at 3:03:04 pm

Put your OS CD in the computer and restart holding the "C" key. Run disk utility from the CD. This will let you do whatever you need to to the boot drive.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 19, 2007 at 10:43:55 pm

And, if you've lost your Boot CD, put the G4 in target mode whilst connected to another mac, then run disk util form that other mac.

Learned that last month. Totally worked.

John Davidson____ writer | producer | director____http://www.magicfeather.tv

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabe
on May 20, 2007 at 5:29:30 am

OK, is there a problem if my boot CD is an earlier OS than the one I'm running on my curretn boot drive? My boot CD is a version of Panther but I have Tiger installed.

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabe
on May 20, 2007 at 6:37:12 am

Well, I know this is basic stuff here. I'm trying to restart with "C" down, running my original install disk for my G4 (OSX10.3 on the cd?), and the G4 actually has 10.4.9 installed. It's apparently not booting of the CD, keeps telling me I need to restart the computer. WHat's my next step?

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on May 20, 2007 at 2:56:30 pm

I don't think it should be a problem to start from an earlier OS, but others may know better than I. Maybe it depends on what repairs are necessary, I don't know. As for not being able to start using the disk - if you have an external drive connected via firewire, and it has enough free space, you could install Panther onto that and then choose that as the start-up disk (using "Start-up Disk" in system preferences), repair Tiger as needed, and then re-start with Tiger. Once you get things sorted out, use something like Carbon Copy Cloner (free) to regularily back-up your boot drive for situations like this. Works for me. As always, if you have important, must-have data on the external drive you're installing to, make a copy of it elsewhere as a precaution. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on May 21, 2007 at 3:45:32 am

[Gary Milligan] "I don't think it should be a problem to start from an earlier OS"

It actually can cause problems especially if you repair disc permissions for it.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on May 21, 2007 at 5:03:15 am

I stand corrected... as I also said, "others may know better than I". I appreciate the good information.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on May 21, 2007 at 3:48:33 am

[ToruWatanabe] "OK, is there a problem if my boot CD is an earlier OS than the one I'm running on my curretn boot drive? My boot CD is a version of Panther but I have Tiger installed."

Well you had to have a Tiger disk to install Tiger. So ether you lost your disk or you never had one. If it is the latter then go and actually buy one. How can you expect help on software that you didn't actually buy. If you lost your disks then you should start looking and if you cant find then you will need to purchase new ones.

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabe
on May 21, 2007 at 1:42:51 pm

Ah, yes this was a legitimate disk install, and the disks were actually lost along with several other items during a move nearly 6 months ago (this may be partly to blame for the delinquent repair to the boot drive). Understandably, I am seeking to avoid additional expense on general principle, as it is easy to overspend and lose one's way in the realm of technology; hence I was attempting to make do with what I had. I'm a loyal Apple person for over ten years now, have spent somewhere near to $7000 on Apple products so far and find your abrupt tone to be surprising.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on May 21, 2007 at 4:46:45 pm

$129 is a small price to pay, its much cheeper then if you had to buy a copy of windows again.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 25, 2007 at 12:39:13 am

Cmon guys. Get Disk Warrior. It is the best mac drive utiity I have ever used. You get an app that can repair drives and a bood disc that can reapir the boot drive. It does WAY more than the simple Disk Utility that Apple provides. I have fixed many a disc that Disk Utility couldn't even recognize.

Please seriously consider Disk Warrior!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabe
on May 25, 2007 at 9:13:55 pm

Well, I've heard of that program but never used it. I think this sounds like the best advice.

Return to posts index

ToruWatanabe
on May 25, 2007 at 9:51:33 pm

Oh, I just wanted to add that I actually went out and bought ANOTHER legit copy of Tiger (10.4.6) from the Apple store. My single expectation was that starting the G4 from the install disk and running Disk Utility would be as simple and easy as possible this way. HOwever, I'm not seeing any clear indication of how to run disk utility from the install disk. I don't see any clear indication of how one unmounts the boot disk effectively; it seems that I'm inescapably routed into installing, and re-installing, and re-installing the OS without being given a chance to use the OSX disk to repair the boot. I freely admit that I'm not the sharpest tack when it comes to systems-related anything, so I ask: what am I missing? What is the process, step-by-step?

Return to posts index

zrb123
on May 25, 2007 at 11:41:09 pm

it is an option from one of the menus at the top,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]