MAC OS X: Forum

Video Editing over Gig E

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devin Crane
Video Editing over Gig E
on May 17, 2007 at 5:32:57 pm

Does anyone have any experience Editing Video over Gig E via a NAS system? We are looking at getting an Xserve and connecting it to our Xserve Raid via Fibre and using it as an NAS system. Does TCP/IP work as a good protocol for editing or do I need to go elsewhere.

We edit in IMX50 and will still have another Xserve Raid Directly attached to our main editor. The NAS will serve as a Shared storage for Ingest and DVD Production.

Also can you hook directly from Workstation to Server with full duplex cables and get greater bandwidth appossed to connecting several stations via a switch? In other words if we have 4 stations and get a 4 port Gig e card, will this work?

Thanks
Devin Crane
Director of Television
FLC

Return to posts index

ErnestoSanchez
Re: Video Editing over Gig E
on May 23, 2007 at 3:11:29 pm

Very interesting question.

Usually you cannot capture directly over Gig-e just using TCP/IP without the aid of a TOE or another protocol such as iSCSI. A NAS is great as a central repository where you can push/pull files. This is a very common practice. As a side note, using Fibre Channel storage in a NAS is a good investment since it can be used an a SAN at a later date. The problem with NAS is the high amount of overhead with the TCP/IP protocol.

However there are solutions for capturing to a NAS. Ones I've installed are and work well:

Editshare / LANshare (uses TOE)
GlobalSAN - Uses iSCSI

I'm also going to test the Rorke Galaxy NAS.

Feel free to email/call direct.

Ernesto Sanchez
Storage Networking Product Manager
"Sharing is Good"

P: 949-861-2706
E: ernesto.sanchez@promax.com

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
Re: Video Editing over Gig E
on May 25, 2007 at 4:26:20 am

What do you mean by overhead with TCP/IP Protocol? Doesn't Editshare use this? We are thinking of getting an Xserve and hooking it up to our current Xserve via Fibre Ch and connecting our workstaions via GigE. I'm not an IT guy so the protocol stuff is what I'm still learning about.

Thanks for any input
Devin Crane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]