MAC OS X: Forum

any way to check what the constant network traffic is ?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
szitanyigany way to check what the constant network traffic is ?
by on May 16, 2007 at 1:21:30 am

I'm on a MacBook Pro, connected via ethernet to cable to the internet. I have MenuMeters running - it's an app that indicates network traffic, processor and other activities in the toolbar. I find it very useful, especially the network traffic indicator, that shows me upload and download activity. There are times, when it shows heavy download traffic, and for a considerable amount of time, and I have no idea what is going on. Sync is not happening at that time, and the activity monitor does not list any active programs working besides "kernel_task" that seems to be using the most real and virtual memory. Any one knows how to track down what's being transferred and why?

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: any way to check what the constant network traffic is ?
by on May 16, 2007 at 3:23:32 am

hello...

short answer - yes. unix logs everything, so it's all in there...finding it can be trickier, but i suggest that you start some place like here:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/03/15/firewall.html

and go from there - you can search google for things like "os x" (with quotes seems to help) and then add phrases like "network traffic" - you'll find a lot of home grown solutions out there that turn your computer's logs into useful data that you can monitor...

(try dashboard and konfabulator as well for spiffy widgets that do what you need)

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

szitanyigRe: any way to check what the constant network traffic is ?
by on May 16, 2007 at 3:44:06 am

Thanks for the advice Curtis, I'll look into it.
Gabor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]