MAC OS X: Forum

Can you output video from the DVD Player thru Firewire?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jumpytunes
on May 10, 2007 at 4:14:48 pm

We often record our video projects to DVDs (using an external DVD recorder with video out through FCP) to send to clients and often need to make copies of those DVDs, however, if we record several different tracks to 1 disc we may only need 1 title from that disc afterwards, therefor just Toasting the disc won't suffice. I want to use the Mac as a player so i can pick and choose what tracks I want to record with my recorder.

For example:

Yesterday I had a DVD (in standard DVD format recorded with my DVD recorder) with 2 of our Half-hour shows on it. I had a request for a copy of only 1 of the shows on the disc. I had to convert the Video_TS file on the DVD to a Quicktime DV movie using MPEG Streamclip then import that to FCP and print to tape with FCP. A lengthy process that looses several commpression generations.

What I hoped to be able to do was to simply play the track I wanted with DVD Player, have that video be spit out of my Mac from somewhere and record that with my recorder, eliminating several steps from the process.

"No TV and no beer make Homer something, something..."

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Can you output video from the DVD Player thru Firewire?
on May 10, 2007 at 4:26:14 pm

hello...

not quite following perfectly what you want to do, but something like this might help:

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

also - check out the apple firewire sdk - it's a set of developer tools that really open up what you can do with the firewire interface (the above tool uses it, for example)...while there are not a lot of gui wrappers for the sdk, there are a lot of people who have made use of it...like this rather unrelated tool:

http://www.ammesset.com/irecord/

you can use it to record out of a cable box and create a tivo-esque mac solution. again, not what you're looking to do, but the underlying firewire sdk might be of use to you in other apps...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]