MAC OS X: Forum

Tiger not recognizing a Airport printer

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kennon Shain
Tiger not recognizing a Airport printer
on May 10, 2007 at 5:02:16 am

I just upgraded to Tiger, 10.4.9, and found that it won't print to the bonjour airport printer.

Real quick specs:

Quicksilver G4 Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 GB RAM
Airport Express with cable connection from a motorola modem
HP PSC 2175 all-in-one

Is there an additional step when upgrading to Tiger from Panther that you need to do? The print icon literally just has the red exclamation point immediately after I try to print. It doesn't seem to be sending any info to the printer, as the job never starts. It just stops all jobs immediately.

I printed fine from a ibook G4 with the same printer (running 10.4.9), so I know its not the printer connection.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Tiger not recognizing a Airport printer
on May 10, 2007 at 4:38:12 pm

hello...

printer drivers need updating perhaps? might be that your printer doesn't support tiger for some reason - hard to say, but if the connection is fine, then i'd start at the source and go back out...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Kennon Shain
Re: Tiger not recognizing a Airport printer
on May 10, 2007 at 11:00:31 pm

Thanks for the response-but the drivers are a no go. I downloaded the HP drivers, and installed them (even though I think Tiger has them all ready), and it still didn't work.

The ibook G4 printed fine, and its running Tiger, so I don't think that is it. It seems to maybe be more of a situation where Tiger is immediately stopping the job for some reason.

Any other ideas?

Thanks-

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Tiger not recognizing a Airport printer - I had the same printer
on May 17, 2007 at 8:18:38 pm

Dude, I had the same printer and gave it away last week after struggling with it's picky on/off behavior for 2 years. I'm very excited to get an opportunity to rant about the experience.

I'm not exactly sure why HP bundles the driver you need with 80 megs of crapware, perhaps it's just to make you feel like you have a pc. Regardless, mark the psc2175 the last HP product I will buy.

The problems I ran into were:

Print que becomes locked up and unresponsive, whether directly connect to the airport 'n' extreme or wired into my g5 and shared through the network that way.

No ability to scan without 3rd party shareware like Vuescan.

HP software just made things worse (and LOVES to run at startup for no reason)

Print manager wouldn't mange anything. Couldn't delete jobs waiting, etc.

So what did I do? I gave up on this stupid printer and gave it away. It would print about 40% of the time, so maybe he'll have better luck. I swore that I would get a printer that was capable of handling the tasks I need from it, like printing and scanninig over a network. Who would be better at that than a company like Canon?

Introducing the Canon MP530. The worlds first office printer that won't work in an office.
My AE didn't even see this printer. I contacted Canon about it when I realized they seem to not gotten word that printers sold these days have network capabilities. When contacted, they told me they don't test their equipment with 3rd party devices. I guess they rely on product testing to come from their customers? Man, that printer sucked more than the HP! The color cartridges were tiny and required you to jump through hoops of fire to install them.

And then Brother. Behold! The Brother MFC-845CW. A wireless printer that connects to my AE with a wereless G connection, or ethernet, or usb, or clotheshanger.

Features: It has a 5ghz cordless phone built-in. It is a fax machine. It allows you to scan over a wireless network to any computer connected. It's software works. The color cartridges are at the very front for easy loading. It has an answering machine. The scanning WORKS wirelessly. It's smaller than the HP and the Canon. I ordered it off amazon for a $50 discount and have been thouroughly happy. Even scanned in about 300 photos this weekend. Even with Vuescan, I could only get about 5 scans in before I had to restart my G5. Oh, and you don't have to be using a program on your mac to get scans - they simply go to a file in a folder you designate.

I feel better now. I've been suffering thanks to HP for years. No more.

All that's left is a trip to the woods with the old HP, some gangsta rap, and a baseball bat.

In all seriousness, the Brother printer I have right now is the best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]