MAC OS X: Forum

user changed name of computer in finder

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cdoss1
user changed name of computer in finder
on May 1, 2007 at 6:42:49 pm

We have a computer in which the user changed the name of the computer he was working on via get info on the home icon. We have changed the name back to the original name, but have now lost access to all files. When we get info on the hard drive it seems that all the files are there considering the space actually left on the hard drive. Is there a way to gain access to those files again? We are running an intel macbook with the latest os version and updates. Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: user changed name of computer in finder
on May 2, 2007 at 3:21:02 am

First off tell him it is a big NO NO to mess with previously set up accounts, if he wants an account with a different name, create a new name and move data over.

Look in the users folder most likely there is another folder in there that contains all the data. Unless he also moved it somewhere else on the computer. You can also do a search for the name of one of the missing files and see there it actually is.

You also may want to look into not giving everyone administrator access. If the person did not have administrator access then he could not have messed the system up like this.

Return to posts index

IQ Nill
Re: user changed name of computer in finder
on May 5, 2007 at 1:00:26 am

Sorry, I don't have a solution, but an additional word of warning.
I (stupidly) renamed my hard disc from "Macintosh HD" to the user name (so that it is easier to find stuff on a LAN).
As it turns out some apps and utilities were looking for the OLD name and would not work properly. For example the backup would not back up ANYTHING as it couldn't find the NAME, rather than simply using the VOLUME ID or number or whatever.
Very unexpected and unpleasant behaviour from an otherwise sophisticated OS.
So the solution is, set it up, install stuff and don't TOUCH!!
IQ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]