MAC OS X: Forum

Adding to a RAID 0

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doece25Adding to a RAID 0
by on Apr 26, 2007 at 9:59:22 pm

The current set-up in my Mac Pro is a 250gb boot drive, with 2 500 gb drives as a RAID 0 for my FCP source files and things of that nature. I was thinking of adding another 500 gb or maybe one of the 1tb drives to the RAID, do I need to back up all the information currently stored on the RAID before adding the drive, or can I simply put in the new drive and add it to the current RAID array?

Thanks in advance for your help

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: Adding to a RAID 0
by on Apr 27, 2007 at 6:27:56 am

You cant just add to a raid you must create a whole new raid, and to create that new raid you must erase the drives to do so. When creating a raid you need to keep all the drive the same size..

Return to posts index

chris NewmanRe: Adding to a RAID 0
by on May 2, 2007 at 11:59:17 pm

you can, however, stripe the drives in concatenated mode (JBOD), without the drives being the same size. you don't get any benefits of RAID1 or higher as far as speed and security but you don't have to worry about each drive only being the size of the smallest drive in the RAID. but even with that mode, you can't just add a drive to the raid, you have to unstripe the drives and once you do that the data is gone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]