MAC OS X: Forum

Weird Fonts

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jabbar ThomasWeird Fonts
by on Apr 23, 2007 at 6:09:03 am

Hi, folks,

I recently added some fonts to my font book that a friend gave to me. I only mention this because this is all that I can think of that may have caused the malfunction I am experiencing. For a few days, everything was okay. for some reason, now i-Tunes (and many other apps) are now using what looks like a Hebrew script that I cannot read or seem to get rid of. When I type in WORD or Simple Text, my typing is okay---it's just the text that the app generates in its interface that seems affected.

I have tried deactivating all the fonts in my font book that are non-English--this didn't work. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I am on a very old 400Mhz G5 running Mac OS 10.3.9 and 384 MB of RAM.

Thanks,
jabbar

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: Weird Fonts
by on Apr 23, 2007 at 2:18:00 pm

try repairing your disk permissions

Return to posts index

Jabbar ThomasRe: Weird Fonts
by on Apr 23, 2007 at 3:08:47 pm

I repaired my disk permissions through the Disk Repair app. I then started my computer. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Any pther suggestions?

Thanks for the help,
jabbar

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2007 at 5:27:56 pm

is it only in itunes? if it is try trashing the iTunes preference files.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2007 at 6:19:05 pm

No, it's other programs as well, like WORD. I'll try trashing all the prefs for all of the affected programs and see what happens.

jabbar

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2007 at 6:40:05 pm

if it is happening in multiple programs sound like ether something is corrupted with your user account or with the OS itself. If trashing preffs doesn't help then try creating another user account, it the issue is gone then it is something with your user account, in which case migrate your data to the new account. If the issue persists then it is something with the OS, try an archive and in stall at that point.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2007 at 1:46:15 am

I'll try this.

thanks,
jabbar

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2007 at 6:37:22 pm

trashed the I-tunes prefs (and others)--no change. Any other suggestions?

thanks,
jabbar

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: Weird Fonts
by on Apr 23, 2007 at 7:10:26 pm

Maybe somehow your International preferences got changed. Open your System Preferences, select the Input Menu, and check to see what keyboard is selected (unless you have it set so that it shows in the menu bar). When I was using Panther it was a regular procedure to change the keyboard from Canadian to US whenever I booted up. It has happened since I installed Tiger, but rarely.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2007 at 8:01:36 pm

If it only happens in itunes and word then it is not a setting in the international preferences. If it was taking place in everything then it would be.

Return to posts index

Mike_PRe: Weird Fonts
by on Apr 25, 2007 at 8:25:40 pm

Exact same thing happened to me. Except it was a Metallica style font. I deleted the offending font and got the same problem with another novelty font appearing. I worked around it in the Firefox by allowing webpages to select font, in the preferences. Its still whacked out in Word and Dreamweaver. It's been this way on my system for months.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 26, 2007 at 1:46:57 am

Firefox does the same thing for me. I'll try your fix.

Thanks,
Jabbar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]