MAC OS X: Forum

WTF - files on HD deleted when removed from blank DVD

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt French
WTF - files on HD deleted when removed from blank DVD
on Apr 20, 2007 at 12:36:47 am

Hope that title made sense. This has happened to me before and is happening right now.

Backing up a folder to DVD using finder to burn (I realise this is not the best option). The folder has multiple sub folders with .tga animation sequences on them, ie a lot of files.

Dragging the root folder to the blank DVD shows the root folder as an alias (little arrow on the icon) but not so for the sub folders. Same happens when I command+option+drag them.

The thing is, when I drag something to trash from the *DVD* because I don't need to copy it, the ORIGINAL folder on my HD is also deleted. Thankfully I have backed this up as a test as it has happened before, but WTF? How can removing files parked on a blank DVD before burning result in deleting the originals?

I will add that while I use Mac for shake everyday, I have no real need to poke around the OS, so I could really be missing something, but the help files and a few books say that what I am doing should work.

If not, can anyone suggest some solid free burning software?

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
Re: WTF - files on HD deleted when removed from blank DVD
on Apr 21, 2007 at 1:07:32 am

weird. my only guess is that the system is creating symbolic links or something to the files to force UNIX to copy them correctly. VERY odd behavior though... i've never used it before...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]