MAC OS X: Forum

G5 set up for After FX and FCP

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paolom
G5 set up for After FX and FCP
on Apr 15, 2007 at 9:36:11 pm

Hello,
I have a G5 Dual 2.2 with 4.5Gb of ram, 2 hard drives, the one that came with the G5 160Gb and a external lacie with 250Gb.
Now i would like to know how I can maximize what I have so that my Mac doesn't drop frames or run out of ram.
I can't run RT unlimited on FCP casue it will drop frames. I though that with 4.5 Gb of memory I would be in good shape.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks
Paolo

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: G5 set up for After FX and FCP
on Apr 16, 2007 at 4:06:31 am

1) Your Final Cut application should be on the internal system drive. The video should be on the external drive. (Set Final Cut Scratch Disk to external drive.)

2) The external drive should NOT be USB. Firewire will be ok for DV or HDV video but you might need something faster for other formats.

Return to posts index

paolom
on Apr 16, 2007 at 11:52:28 pm

Thank you,
I already do have it set up that way.....but I still get drop frames etc.
thanks for your help.
Paolo

Return to posts index

Brad Pemberton
on Apr 17, 2007 at 7:11:25 pm

Have you checked your source media against your sequence presets? Do they match?

What color are you render bars in the timeline window?

Return to posts index

paolom
on Apr 17, 2007 at 10:47:29 pm

Thanks,
there's my ignorance on the subject......I might know by heart but I do not know the difference between the two....(i came from Avid on PC to FCP on MAC not too long ago) the render bars are red and sometimes green.
Also I've moved more things from the internal HD to the Lacie.

thanks again
Paolo

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 19, 2007 at 6:23:43 am

[paolom] "I have a G5 Dual 2.2 with 4.5Gb of ram, 2 hard drives, the one that came with the G5 160Gb and a external lacie with 250Gb.
Now i would like to know how I can maximize what I have so that my Mac doesn't drop frames or run out of ram.
I can't run RT unlimited on FCP casue it will drop frames. I though that with 4.5 Gb of memory I would be in good shape.
Does anyone have any suggestions?"

First, you should post this on the FCP forum, not the OS X forum.

Second, what format are you working with? Unless you're working with HD or uncompressed SD, you should not be dropping any frames with that system. It's plenty fast and you have the maximum amount of ram that FCP can currently make use of.

Third, whether or not you have the sequence matched to your source clips will not induce dropped frames. It will force rendering, but not result in dropped frames.

Post more info on your workflow... type of footage, how you're capturing, OS version, FCP version, any other hardware you're using, etc.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com

Apple Certified Trainer: Final Cut Pro 5

Return to posts index

paolom
on Apr 19, 2007 at 2:51:59 pm

Thanks Mitch,
I am using mostly DV footage and I capture it through a mini DV camera.
I am also using some QT.mov files and a couple of QT from After Effects.
I have final Cut studio 5.1, OS X latest update of tiger and a audio interface.

the system gives me the error window with 2 notes one says droppes frames the other is in red and says soemthing about the RT and the speed of the discs. But I haven't been able to change that.

Thank you and sorry about my ignorance on the matter.
Paolo

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Apr 19, 2007 at 9:36:58 pm

Ok, 2 more things:

1) Make sure that your sequence settings and the capture settings all match. Use the "Easy Setup" to select DV and make a new sequence and use that one. Then check the DV files you've already captured to make sure everything looks right there. (29.97 fps, 720x480, etc.) It's possible that something isn't matching, forcing the machine to convert the video in real-time as you play it.

2) Also, at the left of the timeline is a pull-down menu called "RT." Check that and make sure everything is set to "Unlimited."

Return to posts index

paolom
on Apr 20, 2007 at 3:41:04 am

Thank you very much!
Paolo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]