MAC OS X: Forum

Changing startup disk

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kennon ShainChanging startup disk
by on Apr 9, 2007 at 7:11:42 pm

Well, I've figured it is time to change startup disks, and replace my 80 GB disk with a 500 GB disk. I've never made a new startup disk, so I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to this.

BTW: I'm running
G4 Quicksilver Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 GB RAM

I bought a Newertech adapter, which lets me hook up the Ultra ATA drive via my USB 2.0 (I all ready have 2 additional internal HD's installed). I tried twice to use a program called "Clone X," which clones your drive to another drive, but it didn't make it all the way through.

I'll probably give it another shot, but is there another easy way to transfer all the data from my startup to the new one? And make it appear very similar? I know in Disk Utility you can "restore" from any disk, so would I just choose to restore from my startup disk and use the new disk as the destination?

Any help would be appreciated...

Ken

Return to posts index

Kennon ShainRe: Changing startup disk
by on Apr 9, 2007 at 11:06:36 pm

also-is there anything else I should do? Will the system know what to do once I remove the old startup and install the new one?

Thanks

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: Changing startup disk
by on Apr 10, 2007 at 2:30:09 am

First off why not just leave your start up disk the way it is and just use the new HD as second drive. However if you really want to do it the easy thing to do is to install the OS on the new drive and then use the data migration that is available before you create a user account on the new OS.

You cannot do this through USB because you cannot boot from a USB drive. So you will ether have to get a firewire enclosure or have both your old system drive and new system drive connected to the internal connections.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2007 at 4:14:51 am

My biggest concern is having the maximum amount of space on the startup, although I will probably replace my other internal 80 GB drive eventually with a 500 GB too. But since certain applications need to be loaded on the startup (i.e. Motion and Livetype), and their associated media and files takes up so much space, I really need a large startup drive. I don't have much more than just applications on my startup, and its only about 15% free.

I was able to clone almost all of my startup on the new drive via usb, including my user account. Does that mean I can just plug it into the computer? What key do you hold down so that the computer asks you what startup drive you want? Do I just choose the new drive, once its plugged in via ATA, and go from there?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am trying to be extra-careful, since this is the startup drive.

Any help is appreciated!

Ken

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2007 at 4:39:40 am

Also-Does the G4 support internal ATA devices up to 500GB? I faintly remember something about a space limit. I have a 3rd internal drive, which is actually connected via a PCI card that has 2 additional ATA ports.

I had to buy this since I all ready had 2 internals, but I thought I also remember having to buy it because the PCI card was neccessary for drives over 150 GB or something. Does that sound familiar? So would I have to plug the new startup into the PCI card? Would that work?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2007 at 4:49:01 am

Honestly I don't know if there is a size limit. Personally I would keep the large 500 GB drive as a media drive (you said you use FC Studio)

Also if you can you might want to conceder returning the ATA drive and consider putting that money toward a new computer, I just looked at your specs of your computer and no offense bit it is a bit old. Older computer do have a higher risk of going out on you, and if it douse any time soon, a ATA drive will only be good in an external enclosure because all the new computer have SATA.

Return to posts index

Don GreeningRe: Changing startup disk
by on Apr 10, 2007 at 7:55:38 pm

Your G4 won't recognize any internal ATA hard drive space greater than 127.9 Mbytes no matter how big the drive really is. A few months ago I had to replace the secondary drive in my dual 800 G4 and bought a Maxtor 200 Gbyte ATA drive. The size result is what you see above.

Externally connected FW drives don't have this limitation, however. You can connect any size you want and its true size will be usuable, even in OS 9.2. Another route that may work is to get yourself a SATA PCI card (if someone still makes one for your G4) and buy one of those external drives that has the 4 way connection ports. LaCie and I believe G Tech make several. The connections will be FW 400 and 800, USB 2.0 and SATA. A SATA connection will be somewhat faster than FW 800 when connected to your dual 1Ghz G4. And as was pointed out above, you cannot create an external, bootable drive using only the USB connection.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2007 at 11:18:21 pm

Interesting. Thanks Don. I checked, and OWC has a SATA PCI card with external slots for about $80. So I think I'll try to hook up the 500GB ATA drive as an additional drive (through the ATA PCI card), as long as I can find a place to physically mount it in the G4 case. I all ready have 3 drives in there, but I think it should have another spot I can put it.

That way, if I do make it the startup, it will be all ready connected internally. I'll just have to try freeing up as much space as possible on the 80GB startup, then go with a SATA connection soon.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2007 at 12:50:24 am

"as long as I can find a place to physically mount it in the G4 case"

I would avoid putting more internal drives then the computer was built to hold. Doing so can cause your computer to get to hot inside and the heat can fry the logic board.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2007 at 2:03:34 am

Definitely agreed. But I know it was built to support 2 ATA drives and at least 2 SCSI drives. I'm assuming I can substitute the SCSI for ATA if needed. I'm just not sure about the mount screws, etc. holding another ATA drive instead of a SCSI.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]