MAC OS X: Forum

iPod sharing security?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt
iPod sharing security?
by
on Feb 14, 2007 at 12:43:53 am

I use my iPod is disk mode everyday. its plugged into my computer. The problem is: I have sensative/percsonal files on it, and if another user logs into my computer, they can mount that iPod as a FW dirve on thier computer thru sharing.

Is there a way to disable sharing for just the iPod? Can it be turned off thru the Firewall settings possibly?

Thanks

K

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: iPod sharing security?
on Feb 14, 2007 at 12:56:56 am

Ok, I have NO IDEA if this will work on an iPod...it's meant to be done on the regular Mac drive. So proceed at your own risk.

That being said, it really looks like it could do what you need! You can create a disk image (you know those things that usually download when you get software off the net?) that requires a password to open.

So I'm guessing you could make the secure disc image and put that on your iPod and then put all your files in THAT. Just a guess on my part, but I'm hoping it would work.

Here's how:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107333

I'd suggest trying one on your desktop and seeing if it works. If it does, see if you can drag it onto your iPod and see if it still works once it's there.

Return to posts index

Kurt
by
on Feb 14, 2007 at 2:12:31 am

hell yeah, thats a pretty good idea

thanks!

(still looking for ansd OS-based solution, if one exists)

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Feb 14, 2007 at 3:00:18 am

Just a note...I didn't look into any solutions that would FULLY secure the iPod because I have a tiny suspicion that any such solution would interfere with the connection that iTunes has with your iPod. You might find that the iPod's drive becomes very secure but that your music no longer updates!

Now, I don't know of any such solutions, so maybe there IS something out there that does what you want without messing up the iTunes half of it...I'm just warning you to beware of any hard-drive securing solutions and consider how iTunes will react to them.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Feb 14, 2007 at 5:21:47 am

I have seen people do that with USB flash drives, you just create a encrypted disc image on the drive and you are good to go. However I would recommend taking your iPod with you anyway, if you are just leaving there unattended while other are around it is bound to come up missing eventually.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]