MAC OS X: Forum

I did a really stupid thing, HELP!!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marguuI did a really stupid thing, HELP!!
by on Feb 9, 2007 at 10:58:07 pm

Please don't scold me, I know I was stupid, just want to state that in advance. My edit system is on a G5 powermac running OS X 10.3.9. I recently bought a powerbook pro running 10.4.8. I thought I'd use the new software to update my G5. So, I put the disc in, restarted, the computer froze on startup and now there's nothing there. I got the disc out, rebooted using command-option-shift-delete, and get to the desktop, but there seems to be no system in the computer. Now I'm trying to reinstall 10.3.9, but can't get anything on screen to start the installation. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Lynne

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: I did a really stupid thing, HELP!!
by on Feb 9, 2007 at 11:45:29 pm

Ok, lots to cover here...I'll work by number:

1) In the future, for that kind of update, just go to the Apple Menu and select 'Software Update.' If the computer is online it will take care of these kinds of updates without worry.

2) I know you know not to do this again, but I find it helpful to know the "why" of things, so here's what your problem was: OS Discs that are shipped with hardware are made to only work with that hardware. If you buy a copy of Tiger at the store it can work with anything, but your laptop OS disc will only work with the laptop.

3) That being said, I'm not so sure what happened here. You didn't actually DO anything so nothing should be broken. Try this:

a) Get the OS CD that came with the G5. Put it in and restart holding the "C" key. (If you can't open the disc drive, hold the mouse-button while restarting.)

b) The CD should boot. Look in the pull-down menus for 'Disc Utility.' Repair the permissions on your boot hard drive and check it for errors. Then restart the computer again.

HOPEFULLY, everything will be just great at that point.

If not, continue on this path:

c) Plug a firewire cable between your two macs. Leave the laptop on. Restart the G5 holding the "T" key. It should appear on your laptop as a firewire drive. Copy off any files you want to keep as we'll soon be erasing the G5 drive.

Now repeat step (a) and get into disc utility again. Use it to erase the G5 drive and then re-install OS X from the CD.

You should be back in business then...remember to run "Software Update" from the Apple menu at this point! :-)

(You can and should go into the system preferences on BOTH your Macs, find the software update section and tell it to automatically check for updates every week. Then you don't have to worry about it.)

Return to posts index

marguuRe: I did a really stupid thing, HELP!!
by on Feb 10, 2007 at 6:42:57 am

Thanks Jeff. I was also stupid in my post, my edit system is on a G4, not a G5 (I think I just have G5 on the brain because I just bought my powerbook pro). Anyway, the original operating system CD was at home, so I'm taking it in on Monday and praying that I can get it up an running again. I won't be doing this again, that's for sure!

Lynne

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: I did a really stupid thing, HELP!!
by on Feb 10, 2007 at 7:41:47 am

"I was also stupid in my post, my edit system is on a G4, not a G5 I think I just have G5 on the brain because I just bought my powerbook pro"

there is no such computer as a powerbook pro if you are referring to a macbook pro. If you are referring to a macbook pro I don't see why you should have G5 on your mind because nether your new system or your old system have a G5 in them. A macbook pro has a Intel Processor in it.

Before you do an erase and install on your G4 do a archive and install this will not erase your files but just reinstalls the OS.

If you want 10.4 on your G4 then purchase a copy of it and install it from that. Like the last post said the discs that came with the macbook pro are specific to the Intel proceeder and other hardware of the macbook pro.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2007 at 8:25:53 am

yep, you're right, macbook pro. Guess I'm all befuddled by 'the incident'.

Lynne

Return to posts index

Chris MackenzieRe: I did a really stupid thing, HELP!!
by on Feb 12, 2007 at 5:40:25 am

It should not have even booted from the intel disks. First thing I would do is put the G4 in target mode (hold down the 't' key on boot) and connect it to the MBP and see how bad of shape the drive is in. Since it is a G4 only the drive that is set to master will show up, but at least you can see what is going on and backup what you need (unless the drive is toast). If the drive shows up in Disk Utility, but does not mount, run Disk Warrior on it and see if it can get it back. Unless the drive physically failed my guess is corruption.

Aloha,

-Chris

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2007 at 7:40:05 pm

Thanks all. I won't be able to try anything now until Wedsnesday. I'll be sure and post the results.

Lynne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]