My company is getting a new mac for me. I have a few questions, that I hope some of you can help me with :
1) How is the OSX / WinXP running ?
2) Is a 2.6 Quadcore fast enough to run both Final cut pro, and Photoshop/Indesign ?
3) Can I install my pc version of CS2 on the Win XP boot ? (without problems)
4) Can I install my mac version of FCP on the OsX boot ? (without problems)
5) Is the Quadcore fast enough to work with video on and high res Poster designs ?
Hope some of you can help me with these questions, before I buy the Quadcore, and if you have any comments please share :)
The 2.66 Mac Pro should be plenty fast to run what you are looking for. As far as installing with the dual boot, while I have not done that myself, it is a fairly simple process from what I understand using Boot Camp, or parrallels (though you will not get native speed through parallels, but it saves having to reboot everytime you want to get into windows). If you can swing it I would say upgrade to the 3ghz model and as much ram as you can afford. Ram is the key when running parrallels, you need atleast 2 gigs, one for OSX and another for windows.
I myself recently purchased the 3ghz mac pro and upgraded to 6 gigs of ram and have no problems running FCP and photoshop (in rosetta) at the same time. Though at some point in the near future the universal version for photoshop will be out (the beta is already if you have valid key) and you will see a big jump in the performance of the adobe creative suite programs.