MAC OS X: Forum

Quicktime- rotating media

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AJ Epstein
Quicktime- rotating media
on Dec 22, 2006 at 1:50:37 am

Hi All!

I've got a 720P file that I shot with a Varicam and brought into FCP. I've edited it and output as both DVCPROHD and h.264 files.

I would like to rotate the movie 90 degrees so it can play in proper orientation (it was shot with the camera rotated 90 degrees in order to better fit the image into the aspect ratio of HD)

Using Quicktime Pro in OSX 10.4.5, I am rotating the movie just fine.

BUT, when I rotate the DVCPROHD file, I get 'brushed metal' bars along the sides of my QT window. When I rotate the h.264 file, the sides of the window suck up properly to the new aspect.

I have put photo's of what I'm talking about up at:

DVCPROHD
http://clavilux.org/photos/qtdvcprohd.jpg

h.264
http://clavilux.org/photos/qth264.jpg

Any Ideas on why QT is dealing with these differently? Or how to make the brushed metal go away and still keep the file in DVCPROHD? The h.264 has too many artifacts to be useful for my purposes.

thanks!

AJ

Return to posts index

David Smith
Re: Quicktime- rotating media
on Dec 22, 2006 at 3:28:44 am

[AJ Epstein] "I would like to rotate the movie 90 degrees so it can play in proper orientation (it was shot with the camera rotated 90 degrees in order to better fit the image into the aspect ratio of HD)"

Could you explain this a little more, I'm confused as to why you flipped things around. I think I understand that you were shooting a tall image so you rotated the camera to fit it in the frame. What is it you're trying to end up with? A standard HD frame or one flipped 90 degrees?

As for rotating the movies.... why didn't you do it in FCP where you have much greater control than in Quicktime?

Return to posts index

AJ Epstein
on Dec 22, 2006 at 4:01:21 am

Hey David, thanks for the reply.

I am ideed wanting to end up with a frame that is rotated 90 degrees from the standard HD aspect ratio (the artwork I'm shooting is tall rather than wide, hence putting the camera on it's side.)

As for why I don't do it in FCP... 5 hours of rendering time in FCP vs. Quicktime Player doing it on the fly. (which I will do in FCP if I have to, but am hoping to better understand why I am having this issue before I commit to anything)

thanks!

AJ

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Dec 22, 2006 at 8:48:06 am

That's very interesting AJ, I need to look at QT pro some more, thanks. I notice that in your still frames, the H.264 frame size has adjusted to what you want, but the DVCPro HD frame stays at it's "proper" aspect ratio, shrinking your image to fit inside its vertical parameter. Perhaps the problem is that DVCPro HD, being designed for a specific display aspect ratio, is telling QT "hey, you can't do that, I've got to be this aspect ratio" so QT shrinks and pillarboxes the image and retains the proper aspect ratio. H.264, being designed for web based delivary, may allow the frame size to be anything you want. Just a guess.

You may have to accept the FCP render time, shrink and flip the image there and put a slug behind it to keep the entire frame black. Or, if this is for an art instalation, keep the DVCPro file the way it was before you flipped it and then do the same thing with the display as you did with the camera!

Return to posts index

AJ Epstein
on Dec 22, 2006 at 5:52:53 pm

Good thing I've got a long holiday weekend to do renders then, eh?

; )

as for turning the screen 90 degrees... You read my mind. That is the intended delivery for museums starting next year. Right now I've got to get a hard drive off to a curator with the file so they can see the thing without having to schlep flat panels about.

thanks for your insight!

AJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]