MAC OS X: Forum

Firewire and SCSI cards, not enough slots

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd VanSlyck
Firewire and SCSI cards, not enough slots
on Dec 21, 2006 at 6:24:17 pm

Hello
I've got My G5 with Dual 2.5ghz processor, an Atto ExpressPCI UL4D card and a firewire 800 card. The computer came with the SCSI card installed, but (unknown to me) we inherited, from the guy who used to do all the commercials for us, a Lacie 1 terabyte firewire drive. I was (and still am) working with standard def footage, so I saw no need for the SCSI card. So I bought another 1 tb drive, a firewire 800 card and life's been grand. I'm now looking into buying a DLT tape backup system that only uses SCSI. BUT, all of my slots are filled on my G5. One with a graphics card (which takes up 2 slots), the firewire card and the last one for my Decklink Extreme video card.
SO, am I hosed or what? I've seen both on apple's website and here that firewire to scsi adaptors are unreliable/not recommended. Is there another backup system that will work that could utilize firewire?

tVs

Return to posts index

David Smith
Re: Firewire and SCSI cards, not enough slots
on Jan 26, 2007 at 8:05:22 pm

Don't know anything about it, but a simple google search yielded this link for a Sony tape drive:
http://store.ramplus.com/aiso40aituex1.html

You could sell the video card and get one that doesn't block the other slot.

Backing up to tape systems is mighty slow. Restoring from them is...... just as slow. You could back up to other FW drives, or removable SATA drives (but you'd still need another slot for a SATA host card)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]