MAC OS X: Forum

Microhog issue...

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sblanceMicrohog issue...
by on Dec 17, 2006 at 8:53:56 pm

I have Microsoft Office 04 running on my G5 desktop. However, at start up, and w/o actually running Office, my processors start pegging.
I open a Terminal and type "top". it gives me a list of the all the current process running. I always see a Microsoft process pegging my machine. I note the process ID and in another shell, use "kill (process ID number)". This kills the offending process but it's getting to be a hassle to do this at every login.
Do you have any idea how to track this issue and keep Microhog from pegging my machine?

jusssssst curious... THANKS!

Lance

Return to posts index

Mark LandmanRe: Microhog issue...
by on Dec 18, 2006 at 2:44:58 pm

My wife has been having lots of problems with Microsloth on her Mac at work. Their IT guy suggested that she try using Open Office, which is an open-source version of Microsoft Office. So far its been working fine. I haven't had a chance to try it in my office yet though.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: Microhog issue...
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 1:02:35 am

Open Office is NOT a open sourse version of Microsoft Office, it is NOT even made by Microsoft.

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Microhog issue...
by on Dec 19, 2006 at 6:09:52 am

[zrb123] "Open Office is NOT a open sourse version of Microsoft Office, it is NOT even made by Microsoft."

The point being made is that OpenOffice.org is an open source app capable of opening and generating MS Office compatible documents. The OS X version runs under X11.
The machines running here have Office and I see no MS processes running unless I launch an Office application.
You must have something starting up at launch or login that shouldn't be, maybe set as a preference in Office or other MS apps.

Return to posts index

David SmithRe: Microhog issue...
by on Dec 21, 2006 at 7:50:51 pm

[sblance] "Do you have any idea how to track this issue"

You can watch CPU activity in real time using the Activity Monitor ap. found in your Applications>Utilities folder. It will show you the active processes and the percent of CPU activity they are using.

I have friends who use Open Office running under X11 and are quite pleased with it..... and it's free.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]