MAC OS X: Forum

Macbook question --- A G A I N

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
NicholastothMacbook question --- A G A I N
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 4:13:57 pm

SO new macbooks core 2 duo's were recently released? yes? very nice? pretty like a pony?

Does anyone know if you can stuff 2 * 2 gig chips for memory into them? (and max out at 4 instead of 3 gigs?)

My current macbook has the occasional memory problems with its maxed out 2 gigs --- but If I could cram 4 gigs into a new one my core duo laptop will be biting the dust.
I do graphics/animation work and plan to load win64 on the bugger too --- thats why I need the memory support.

Return to posts index

NicholastothLOOK ITS THE ANSWER
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 4:37:34 pm

ramjet.com says:

2Gig Single Module: The 2Gig Single module can only be used in the MacBook Pro Core2 Duo, not the Core Duo.
The MacBook Pro Core2 memory maximum is 3Gigs with the installation of one 2Gig SO-DIMM, and one 1Gig SO-DIMM. If you install two 2Gig SO-DIMMs,
OSX will register 4Gigs, but will only be able to use 3Gigs. In the Core2, you may install the 2Gig SO-DIMM into either slot.

BUT will windows 64 recognize it?

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: LOOK ITS THE ANSWER
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 7:12:53 pm

BUT will windows 64 recognize it?
==================

No, it has to do with Intel's motherboard. I'm totally not a tech, so I can't exactly explain it, but the system is somehow already using the bandwidth that 4th GB would otherwise be using.

So if you put 4 in, it can't access that last 4th GB.

From what I've heard, from a hardware-perspective it IS possible to access slightly more than 3 GB. Something like 3.25 I think. I think that some other Windows machines have been built to allow that. So youi'd buy 4 GB but only get 3.25 or something like that...the other .75 GB is just lost, which makes for a very expensive 256 MB of RAM.

Apple decided that no one would waste money like that and thus designed their hardware around a 3 GB limit. I'm nearly positive that's in the hardware, so you have the cap in OS X and in Windows in Boot Camp.

That's why all Macbooks and the iMac have the same 3 GB limit.

Return to posts index

NicholastothRe: LOOK ITS THE ANSWER
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 7:52:42 pm

3 gigs just sounds so abstract in the computer world.

I thought it was always best to ad in even numbers...

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2006 at 8:07:33 pm

I thought it was always best to ad in even numbers...
=====================

There is that...

I think in most systems you get a slight benefit from having mirrored RAM chips...it's a very slight advantge, though, it won't kill you to miss-match.

The Macbooks and the Mac Minis have a slightly more important reason to do that, however. Because of their integrated graphics (instead of a seperate video card) there is apparently a performance boost from having matching RAM.

I think that's why they only sell up to 2 GB on those machines whereas you can buy 3 GB on the iMac and Macbook Pro.

Return to posts index

NicholastothRe: LOOK ITS THE ANSWER
by on Nov 20, 2006 at 8:43:23 pm

So it is in fact hardware based --- if I installed win 64 it would use the 4 gigs or not?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2006 at 9:49:12 pm

On an Apple laptop I'm pretty sure you're stuck at 3 GB no matter what OS you're using.

I suggest a Macbook with 2 GB of RAM but then buying a new hard drive from someplace like this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

Get a 7200 RPM hard drive and replace it yourself...apparently it's easy with the Macbooks (non-pro). You'll run a little hotter, but the hard drive will work faster. When the RAM fills up and it has to write data to the disc, at least you'll be going a little faster at that point than you would otherwise.

And are you planning on using Boot Camp? If you're worried about speed it will run faster if you plan to switch between OS X and Windows using Boot Camp rather than having them both run at the same time with Parralels.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]