MAC OS X: Forum

can't open apps now that i've "erased and installed" Tiger

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keely72
can't open apps now that i've "erased and installed" Tiger
on Nov 15, 2006 at 2:53:16 am

I just re-installed Tiger using the "Erase and Install" option. (I did the "Archive and Install" first but it was sooo slow and certain apps wouldn't open.) I made a bootable backup of my old system on a 150 GB external hard drive. I can open all my files now from that drive but my apps won't open. Is there any way to open and use them without re-installing all of them? I particularly need to open InDesign and Photoshop CS.
Thanks for any help.

Keely

PS, how do I boot from my external hard drive? If I could do that I could open my apps, I think.

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: can't open apps now that i've "erased and installed" Tiger
on Nov 15, 2006 at 6:18:09 am

you need to re install the applications

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 15, 2006 at 12:20:19 pm

[Keely72] "PS, how do I boot from my external hard drive? If I could do that I could open my apps, I think."

Go to System Preferences in the Dock, choose Startup Disk and then choose the operating system that's on your external drive. Then restart.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Keely72
on Nov 16, 2006 at 4:48:33 am

I re-installed my apps, it didn't take that long. Thanks.

On the start up disc advice, my external drive isn't listed as an option. I have my Mac hard drive (Mac OS X, 10.4.8 on Macintosh HD) and a Network Startup with a question mark. Should I select that? I called Apple and they said to restart and hold down the option key after the chime then select the other hard drive to boot. Apparently my Mac doesn't recognize the hard drive as bootable? I'm about ready give up. If you have any more ideas please let me know. Thanks!

Keely

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 16, 2006 at 6:50:27 am

[Keely72] "and a Network Startup with a question mark. Should I select that?"

No. A Network startup disc is not an external hard drive. If your external drive has OSX on it and is bootable then it should show up in the startup window along side your Macintosh HD and the network startup icon. So there should be 3 things in that window. If your external drive isn't showing up there then there's either something wrong with the drive connection or the OS you installed on that drive isn't installed properly. I'm assuming your 150 Gig external drive is a firewire drive and it's alreaady been formatted in Mac OS Extended. Having a bootable external drive is a common practice, so there's something not quite right with your system at the moment.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

Keely72
on Nov 17, 2006 at 4:39:08 am

I'm pretty sure the drive is bootable. It says it is when i select it with Disc Utility. I used SuperDuper's free backup thing and used the "make bootable" option. The drive is connected to my mac with a USB 2.0. Is that the problem? I don't have a FireWire port on the drive. Is the USB connection too slow to boot from? Is there any way i can get an adapter to use a FireWire instead?
Thanks for your time on this.

Keely

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Nov 18, 2006 at 1:27:43 am

USB is not bootable only firewire

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]